Saturday, 9:15 PM, 45 minutes to show time

Filipina Legaspi stares at Jo Yihwan's weapon of choice—his favorite Fender Stratocaster—lying in wait on one of the tables inside their tent. At sound check several hours ago, the East Genesis Project band leader was caressing its strings to the tune of their most popular songs, but now it seems like he has abandoned the sleek black beauty.

"Where did Yihwan say he'll go?" Fi asks, turning to Steven Bae and Song Minchan who are in the middle of their personal pre-show rituals. Steven halts his drumstick-twirling and tugs at his earphones, the plugs falling on his lap. Minchan pauses mid-stretch and looks around the chaotic shared space, as if realizing only now that their band leader has gone MIA. Both boys say they haven't seen Yihwan since sound check.

From the corner of her eye, Fi spots Gabriel Park, deputy PR Manager for Amethyst Entertainment, check his watch for the time. In stark contrast is the fidgety energy she senses from the production assistant who checks on them.

"Apple," Fi says, turning to the PA with a smile. "Please tell Eric and the team we'll be ready at ten." She leaves a reassuring pat on the young lady's shoulder and sends her off.

Fi pulls her phone out of her jeans pocket and dials Yihwan's number. "Get ready," she instructs both Steven and Minchan who don't dare make light of the situation, not even with the slightest wisecrack. "I'll be right back."

She steps out of the tent, cursing under her breath when Yihwan doesn't pick up. She dials him again, eyes darting toward the group of males making their way to the tent. Squinting, she recognizes them as the boys from a band called Arabella. They finished their set a little while ago and gave way to Trainman, the act performing now. The good-looking bunch awards her with giddy smiles as they enter the tent, and she reciprocates the friendly gesture with a polite bow.

Meanwhile, Yihwan is still not answering the phone, and Fi's annoyance turns to mild concern.

"Shall we divide and conquer?" someone asks, pulling her out of the rabbit hole she almost fell into.

Fi turns to see Gabriel standing there, popping an entire block of Choc-Nut in his mouth. Without the anxiety blossoming in her chest, she might blurt out a joke about how he'll go home with diabetes if he doesn't lay off the chocolate treat.

Gabriel trains his eyes on her. "I can help you look for Yihwan."

"I don't think that's a good idea, Gabe."

A pronounced crease appears on Gabriel's forehead as he contemplates her words. She fights the urge to reach for his face and smooth over the lines with her fingers.

"What do you mean?"

"Listen, I gotta go."

"Fi." Strong and slender fingers wrap around her wrist. "What do you mean?"

"Yihwan's acting out because you're here," Fi replies, straightforward and almost accusing. She doesn't like that it came out that way, but it can't be helped. The past twelve hours have been physically and emotionally taxing, and now she has to deal with the possibility of Yihwan throwing a tantrum.

Gabriel frowns and lets her go.

"Ka."

She pauses, not taking a single step away from him. And then, "Ka," he repeats. Go. She hears a gentle undertone in his stern voice and finds it comforting.

"Make sure Steven and Minchan are ready by nine-thirty," comes Fi's request. "Please."

He nods. Somehow, the dancing lights behind them make it seem like Gabriel is smiling.

No, wait. He actually is.

"I'll make sure the kids are ready," he promises. "Go get Yihwan."

She rolls her eyes. "Why you look so pleased is beyond me."

"Off you go." Gabriel gives her a gentle shove in the general direction of the resorts. "We have a crisis to manage."