Chapter 2: "Granger?"

A/N: Hi, guys! As always, no hate, please. This is a continuation of the last chapter's flashback but from a different POV. 😉 Also, you can find me on AO3 under the same handle I have here! I have yet to publish anything yet, but I will! Love y'all! ❤️ Stay safe! 🥰

Draco's POV:

I notice Hermione walk into the Great Hall with that weasel by her side. I scowl but can't keep it up because Hermione looks hot as hell. Theodore Nott, my so-called best friend, wolf-whistles.

"Damn! Granger may be the opposition, but I can't say she's not hot."

"Keep your voice down, Nott. We don't want everyone to hear that." I mutter while elbowing him in the stomach.

"Oooh, Draco's got a crush!" Blaise Zabini teases.

"Shut up, Zabini!"

"Drakie, I thought I was your crush!" Pansy Parkinson, my date to the ball, whines. I casually ignore her. Zabini and Nott exchange a look, and our silence gets interrupted by an upbeat song played on the enchanted orchestra in the corner of the great hall. I can't help but snicker when the Weasley girl drags Potter out onto the dance floor.
'She's better than her brother, at least.' I think. That thought solidifies a few minutes later as I see him slip away from Hermione, leaving her partnerless on the dance floor in the middle of a slow song. My heart overrides my brain at this point, and before I even realize what I'm doing, I'm slipping into the spot Weasel just left.

"Mind if I take a dance for myself?" I ask, already spinning her 'round towards the center of the floor. My mind goes back to the dancing lessons my mother forced me to take, and I dip her, realizing only after that she never actually answered my question. She breaks away from my gaze and mutters something about needing to go to the loo, making me feel so stupid. Before I can apologize, she runs out of the hall as fast as possible. Which, actually, is pretty fast, considering she's wearing heels. I glance back at my friends, who are howling with laughter. I growl but decidedly don't go back to where they are. Instead, I head towards the food and drink and grab myself a butterbeer. Popping it open, I scold myself for doing what I just, stupidly, did. I begin to make my way back to the group to be absolutely humiliated when the music stops. I hear sobbing. My head snaps in the direction of the sound, peering over the tops of people's heads, and see Hermione bawling in the doorway. She seems to notice everyone staring at her, and a look of pure horror crosses her face. She bolts back out the door, and my brain gets overridden once again. My feet carry me swiftly across the hall, dodging people left and right. I push the doors open and see a wisp of dress disappear around a corner at the top of a staircase in the direction of the head prefects' dorms. Our dorms. I run after her, but the staircase moves before I can follow her. Silently cursing the castle for being so magical, I turn around and dash up towards the dorms another way.

When I reach the dorms, the portrait of Dumbledore guarding the entrance smiles at me.

"Ah. Mr. Malfoy. I should have figured you would come up here." I stare at the painting, confused. "Well, what are you waiting for? Go comfort Miss Granger!" The deceased headmaster says in a tone that can only be described as giddy.

"Mimbleus Mimbletonia." The portrait swings back, and I quietly step into the common room. I take a breath before climbing up the flight of stairs leading to her room. The stairs immediately turn to a slide, and I slip back onto the common room floor on my back.

"Of course it would be enchanted..." I mutter. Whispering a levitation spell, I glide up the stairwell over the slippery surface of the stone slide. When I reach her door, I touch back down. I reach out to knock and the door pushes open. Sucking in a breath, I step into her room. It's dark, and the only noise is the sound of sobs coming from the large, canopied platform bed. I step forward before quietly calling out:

"Granger?"

A/N: Hello Again! Hopefully, this chapter lived up to your expectations! I really am having fun writing this, and I hope you all are enjoying reading it. Once again, no hate, and have a good day/night/afternoon. Love y'all and stay safe! ❤️ 😘