Chapter 1: The Beginning

A/N: Hi! This is my first fanfic, so please don't hate. If there are any grammatical or spelling errors, I apologize. All characters belong to J.K. Rowling, and the Fanart up top was found on fanpop. Please enjoy, vote and comment!

Hermione's POV:

I slowly open my eyes and yawn tiredly. The room slowly comes into focus, the source of my awakening pouring through emerald green curtains.
'Wait,' I think. 'I don't have green curtains.'
I frantically look around, realizing with a gasp that this is not my room. The Nimbus 2001 propped up in the corner and quidditch posters should have given it away instantly. I start to minorly freak out, and then I notice the beautiful, blonde-haired boy lying next to me. I contain a shriek and hop out of the bed as fast as humanly possible. Noticing that I am half naked, wearing only an oversized t-shirt, I scan the room for my clothes. I see my underwear, dress, heels, and hair clip left in a trail leading towards the king-sized canopy bed where that beautiful boy still peacefully slept. Quickly pulling on my underwear and a pair of sweatpants I see atop his dresser, I take a few calming breaths and try to remember what happened last night.

Flashback to the previous night:
"Eeek! I'm so excited! I just can't wait for the ball!"

"Gin, we're going down to meet the boys in an hour; you need to focus less on your excitement and more on your makeup!"

"'Mione, I am focusing. But I can't stop thinking of his dreamy eyes..."

I sigh and go back to carefully applying my eyeliner. Ginny continues to ramble about how much she loves Harry's eyes, and I scowl down at the dress in my hands. It looked so much prettier two weeks ago when we picked it out. Ginny notices my face and groans, snapping me out of my thoughts,

"Girl, this dress is amazing, and you look incredible in it. My brother will be breathless."

"I hope so," I mumble. "But is the neckline too low? I don't want to look like some sort of slut."

"'Mione, stop worrying! Now get your ass into that dress so I can do your hair. After all, we're going down to meet the boys in an hour!"

I laugh at my best friend's wittiness and make my way to the bathroom to change. I brave a look in the mirror once I have changed into my dress, and I suck in a breath. The blackish-blue fabric feels like a feather against my skin, and the sparkling, star-like gems on the skirt and bodice glisten in the bathroom light. The sheer cape with gems speckled across the top covers my shoulders only slightly and matches my smokey eye perfectly. I breathe a sigh of relief and exit the bathroom, allowing Ginny to see me.

"Woah. Hermione, you look beautiful."

"You're one to talk!" I exclaim, my cheeks tinted pink. But it is true. My bestie looks amazing. Her dress is silver and off the shoulders. It has a tight bodice but flows out once it reaches her waist. With a slit cut halfway up her thigh and a floor-length skirt, the dress framed her curves, and she looks simply stunning.

"No, no, none of that. I know I look killer." Ginny smirks. "Now it's time for your hair!"

45 minutes, 30 bobby pins, and a can full of hairspray later, both Ginny and I are ready to go. Descending the steps from my Head Girl dorm in heels is a challenge, but both Ginny and I face it masterfully. Well, mostly. At the bottom of the steps, Ginny sighs in relief before tripping on her own feet and collapsing straight into the arms of her boyfriend. I laugh and don't notice my cape on the floor until I have already slipped and am being cradled gently in my boyfriend's arms.

A/N: I know there is no Dramione or Blinny yet, but hold on! It's coming!

"Clumsy much, are we?" Ron's laughter-filled voice floods my ears. I scowl.

"Shut up," I mutter, but I can't stay mad for long. I smile before standing up and leaning in to kiss him. He kisses me back, but with seemingly less passion.

"Everything OK, babe?" I ask concernedly.

"Yeah. Everything is perfect! You look beautiful, by the way." Ron says, smiling. I smile back at him, but can't help but notice that his smile doesn't reach his eyes. I make a mental note to ask him about it more later.

"C'mon, c'mon, the ball's gonna start without us!" Ginny complains. We all start heading down towards the great hall, where the ball is being held. When we arrive, the dancing has just started, and so we join in the fun. Harry and Ginny spin around so much I wonder how they don't throw up. Ron and I play it safer, dancing slower and much less crazily. He slips away sometime during the third slow song, muttering something about needing to use the loo. I frown, annoyed at him leaving me partnerless on the dance floor, when none other than Draco Malfoy slips into the spot Ron just vacated.

"Mind if I take a dance for myself?" He asks, already spinning us towards the center of the floor. Before I know what's happening, he dips me so far my hair brushes the floor. My cheeks feel as though they are on fire, and one glance into his cool grey eyes sends shivers down my spine. I break away from his piercing gaze and come back to my senses, realizing that I am dancing with Draco Malfoy! He may be Head Boy to my Head Girl, but this is just plain ridiculous! I have a boyfriend! I murmur the same excuse I just got mad at Ron for using to escape the situation. Despite my mind knowing that dancing with him was wrong, my entire heart wants to go back out there and keep slow dancing with him. I mentally berate myself as I mindlessly head up to Moaning Myrtles bathroom to have a moment to myself. I hear noises coming from the bathroom as I approach.
'Hmm.' Before I can analyze that thought, I push open the door and beeline towards my normal thinking stall. When I take a look around and let my surroundings sink in, I stop dead in my tracks. There, in the center of the bathroom, is Ronald Weasley. Underneath him is none other than Lavender Brown. My boyfriend. With Lavender Brown. Lying, naked, in Moaning Myrtles bathroom. I have no words. Lavender tries to hide herself behind Ron as Ron just stares at me blankly. I open my mouth and a string of insults fly from my mouth before I can stop them.

"Oh and one last thing you mother f*****, we're through." I storm out of the bathroom, wiping away my tears to no avail. My eyes blur and my feet carry me along with no sense of direction, and before I can turn around, I barge through the doors of the great hall. My intention was to cut through to make my way to the Head Prefect dorms, but in my haste I forgot that the ball was still happening. My entrance was loud and caused everyone to look at me; Hermione Granger, the girl who had just been cheated on, bawling her eyes out in front of the entire school. I realize where I am, and before anyone has the chance to say anything, I bolt back through the mahogany doors. I sprint away from the hall as fast as I can, and when I make it to the dorms, I feel about ready to collapse.

"Mimbleus Mimbletonia," I whisper to the portrait guarding the door. The painting swings open and I hop through the hole before dashing up to my room and falling onto my bed. I shake with sobs before hearing the door open.

"Granger?"

A/N: Aaaah. Please don't hate me. I will publish more soon, promise! Anyways, what did you think? No hate please. Constructive criticism is always welcome. Vote and comment! Stay safe! 🥰