Chapter Three: A Day of Firsts

“So, I have to come with you?” Hayley asks for the tenth time. I nod. We are almost out the door. “But, what am I supposed to do there?”

“Maybe you could read a book or—”

“Can I read the book in your room?”

“Yes, you can. Try to hurry, Hayley,” I say. We need to get moving. I couldn’t be late on my first day. While Hayley runs to grab the book, I massage my back and legs as best as I can. Sleeping on the couch had done a number on me.

I’d called Sweet Concoctions earlier in the morning and informed them of my decision. No one took it badly. Quite the opposite, actually. I was to pick up my final paycheck at the end of the day. What little there was of it.

Hayley returns, clutching the book. She’s reading the back and already seems interested. I look at the book again. Was it really appropriate? Then, I looked at my watch. Appropriate or not, we were leaving. Now.

As soon as Hayley is out the door, I lock it behind me and start walking down the street. “Where’s your car parked?” she asks me after a minute.

“I don’t have one.” My articulate response.

“Really?” she asks. Her voice is tinged with incredulity. “How can you not have a car?”

“Quite easily,” I say. “Shall we try going a bit faster?” I ask. Please let me be on time. Please let them let Hayley stay. Thankfully, we catch a bus. The two of us have to run, but we make it inside. Hayley grabs a seat and continues to study the book. I wonder if she will ever start reading it.

The bus ride doesn’t do anything good for my nerves. My feet tap nervously, and I check my watch compulsively every few seconds. At last, it pulls into the stop we need.

“Come on, Hayley. This is the stop.” Some instinct in me causes me to reach out for her hand. She looks at me and inches her hand away.

“I’m not five you know,” she mutters. That went well.

“Sorry,” I say. There’s not much else to do at that point. I set a brisk pace, making sure to keep a close eye on Hayley. She’s put the book away and is staring around with interest. I could understand her. The town was nothing like the city she was used to.

 Soon, we’re standing outside of Felicitá. It’s two minutes to one. We are right on time.

“Well, are you going to open the door, or was this whole rush just for show?” Hayley asks. I push the door open. My uncertainties take this opportunity to flood through me, and by the time I’ve stepped into the restaurant, I’m sure that I made the wrong choice. Was it too late to go back to Sweet Concoctions?

The restaurant is in an open dining area style. It has an old Italian feel to it. There are off white table cloths and deep mahogany chairs and booths. The walls are decorated with old style paintings. The whole restaurant makes me feel as though I’ve stepped into a different era.

“Hello. Who might you be?” a silky voice asks me. I find myself facing a tall, attractive woman. Her hair is pulled back into a ponytail, and she’s wearing simple clothes, but I can sense her elegance.

“Melanie Fox,” I say. “I’m here about a new job.”

“Oh, Melanie! Mr. Sharpe told us you’d come by.” A young man comes up to me and holds out his hand. “I’m Derek,” he says. “Part-timer.” I shake his hand.

“What’s your name?” he asks Hayley. She looks him up and down, making no secret of the fact that she’s rating his significance.

“Hayley,” she finally says, holding out her hand. Derek shakes it seriously, but his eyes twinkle.