✬ --- ✦ Chapter one : A lonely witch ✦ --- ✬

The night sky was clear, she could see the crescent moon shining brightly among the stars. Under it, students were still strolling in the courtyard and the sound of their chitchat rose to her ears. The autumnal air was getting colder but most students were still wearing light clothes.

 The autumnal air was getting colder but most students were still wearing light clothes

She shuddered when a gust of wind reached her. Golden leaves were floating in front of her, proof that the wind was getting stronger. Her red hair became even more disheveled as red curly strands floated around her head. Reluctantly, she closed the window on the beautiful view. Last thing she needed was her roommate to complain again. She returned to her desk where a pile of parchments scribbled all over, along with big books, were scattered everywhere on the sturdy wooden surface.

Magic for the beginners, How to maximize your magic potential, Magic abilities : from theory to practice ... Such were the titles of the large books.

She sat in her chair and started reading one of the parchments but soon gave up, defeated. She could spend entire nights reading and memorising every page of every book she could find, it did not change anything. She was probably the worst witch in the entire academy, no .. in history ! She could not make the simplest spell nor create the tiniest element. She was already in her second year and she was still struggling to get the basics.

Luckily, she had found a subject in which she was good enough to be accepted in second year. Her head hurt as she remembered last year and the anxiety from getting expelled, when she realised she could never master magic, regardless of the amount of work she was putting in. While she was struggling, she met a senior student who agreed to help her. He wasn't the nicest tutor - he was not even good at teaching - but he was the only one who tried. And with his help, she finally found her calling : alchemy. She had really poor mana and little control over it, so casting spells was out of reach. Still there were some branches derived from magic you could master by studying intensively.

Complicated formula, list of ingredients and their properties... She worked hard to memorise everything. At first she hated it, it was so far from the magic she dreamed of ! But with time and as she got better, she started to really like alchemy. Her tutor was really happy with her progress and for the first time in her life, she was proud of her work. Alchemy was not popular amongst the witches and wizards as it required little magic ability and it demanded a lot of laborious work. Still, most of the council's elders were pleased with her work and they advanced her to second year despite her poor grades. After all, alchemy was very useful and it was a field still developing. Some said it could even compete against magic in terms of power. Most witches and wizards would shudder at the thought but it filled her with hope. She dreamed of being a strong witch whose magic could rival against the strongest evil mages or the biggest monsters. Thanks to alchemy, that dream wasn't completely out of reach.

"Maximilian !"

A high pitched voice drew her out of her thoughts. Miriam... she internally sighed. Her roommate appeared at the doorway with a furious expression on her face.