Chapter 1.2

Japan walked down the hallway. Wow, he thought to himself. This mansion is almost as large as Russia's! He had been walking for ten minutes now, and still had not reached the end of the hall. The corridors he was walking down seemed to be in the same condition as the entrance hall: spotless, yet drab and deprived of color. 

Luckily for Japan, even though there were no light fixtures, the bright haze streamed through dusty windows, creating shadows of trees and birds lazily swaying in the cold, autumn breeze.

Finally, he approached a bend, which spilled into a spacious lounge room, with a few bookcases and a sofa. Nothing worth mentioning, he thought. Even though the house itself appeared to be old-fashioned, for reasons unknown, a relatively new kitchen island sat at the far end of the room, with a sink and cupboard included.

Japan walked over to examine the cabinets, but to his disappointment found nothing but. Dust and some spare wine glasses.

Even after thorough inspection, Japan still had found nothing of interest. He sighed, shoulders slouching. And to think, I could be home right now, in the bath reading manga. He was just about to leave when something caught his eye.

Japan knelt down, picking up a shard from the ground. A plate, or more like a platter, was shattered into long thin wedges at his feet

This plate is broken, I have to be careful not to hurt myself, he thought.

Still, something about the silver entranced him, and he carefully slid the ceramic shard into his pocket,  then left the room.