Chapter 9

Cale could feel that he was sinking into never-ending darkness, he was too tired to have any reactions so he just stood still and let himself sink even more.
It's cold, it's quiet. Where am I? I think I had something important to do, what was it? I am too tired to think about anything. I think it won't hurt if I sleep a bit.

With that, he closed his eyes and fell into slumber. After what felt like hours he opened his eyes to a familiar place. This office, this desk, that bookshelf... He was back in Korea!
He looked down at himself and realized he was in his original body. Kim rook soos body. A knock on the door brought him back to reality.

"C...Come in."

The door opened halfway and instead of a person, he could see a cake with a small candle on it.

"HAPPY  BIRTHDAY ROOK SOO!"

Choi Jung soo walked in with a cake in his hand. Behind him, he could see his other teammates smiling at him and congratulating him on his birthday. They thought cales shocked expression was because he was surprised and didn't know what to say but cale was truly shocked!

This memory...this never happened! Cale was sure he didn't have any records of any birthday surprises...in his whole life! This is fake. He didn't know where he was so he decided to play along.

"Well, thank you I guess."

He bowed and thanked his friends.

"Rook soo don't be like that, come here make a wish before the candle melts."

Choi Jung soo brought the cake close enough for cale to make a wish. Cale closed his eyes and pretended to make a wish and then blew the candle. Everyone clapped and congratulate him once more.

"Hey, rook soo tell me what did you wish for?"

"Well..."

Suddenly another voice answered instead of him.

"I bet he wished to become a slacker, right?"

Although he could recognize this person just by hearing his voice, he looked up and saw Lee soo hyuk. His team leader was the same as the last time he saw him. Everyone was the same but he knew none of this is real. Something is wrong.

After that, the cake was served and they joked and laughed a little before saying goodbye and living the room one by one.  Now only cale, Choi jung soo, and lee so hyuk were left.

"Did you like your birthday surprise rook soo?"

Choi jung soo asked with anticipation.

"I bet he is at the loss of words."

Lee soo hyuk mocked.

"Yeah...thank you hyung-nim. Thank you, team leader. But hyung-nim can I ask you a question?"

"Sure anything."

"Isn't our birthday on the same day? Why didn't you celebrate with me?"

Choi junk soo looked at him with confusion.

"How can I celebrate my birthday rook soo? I am dead."

Cale's eyes widened.

"We have been dead for quite a while now. You should know better since you were the one we sacrificed our lives for."

Lee so hyuk answered nonchalantly.

Suddenly cales surrounding started to get dark once again and all the furniture and walls started to disappear one by one. Only him Choi junk soo and lee so hyuk were left standing.

"Hyung-nim....I..."

Cale wanted to tell something but something was preventing the words to come out of his mouth. He knew that the real choi jung soo would never say those words to him but deep down he had his doubts. How could his hyung-nims not hate him when he was the one who led them to their deaths?

"At a loss of words huh? You seem to live quite well in your new body. Do you even remember what you did to us?"

Lee so hyuk was now looking at him accusingly. There was no trace of his calm and rational self anymore.

"When we were being crushed by those monsters what were you doing?...you were hiding LIKE A COWARD!!"

Cale fell on his knees when he heard his team leaders scream.

"I'm sorry....so sorry."
He was now bowing to them and asking for their forgiveness trying very hard to choke back his sobs. He knew that even if these two weren't the real Choi jung soo and lee so hyuk, these words were true. he was the reason they died.

Both of them laughed mockingly.

Choi jung soo knelt beside cale and put his hands on his shoulder.

"What use is there to apologize rook soo? You are the reason all of our team members are dead. You killed us. You are a murderer."

——————————————
Hi guys, sorry for the late update i had a lot going on these days🤍

Don't forget to vote ❤️
And leave comments for me I will be delighted reading them🤭📝