II

02 // DANCE WITH ME

"Do you ever wonder what life will be like after all of this is over?" Edith Caldwell asked as she walked next to Steve down the street.

"I don't even know where I'm going to be tomorrow, let alone when the war is over." Steve pointed out as Edith looped her arm through his.

"Well, I leave for London tomorrow and I'm not sure if I'm coming back." Edith said he thought out loud for the first time.

"Nothing is going to happen to you, Edith. Especially if I have something to do with it."

Edith let go of her best friend's arm and stepped in front of him. "What could you possibly do? You're touring around the world being Captain America while we're trying to win a war." Edith looked up at the super soldier as she spoke, she felt like she could feel his heart sinking at her statement. "I didn't mean it like that. I know they wouldn't let you go and I refused to leave without you but apparently they really need me." Edith grabbed Steve's hand and gripped it tight. "I also didn't mean it like I think I'm going to die, I meant that I might stay in London. I don't know if being an agent is right for me anymore. I want to start a family."

The two stood in silence as they stared at each other when they heard jazz music coming from down the street. "You still haven't danced with a girl yet, have you?" Edith asked as she took a step closer to her best friend.

"I still haven't found the right partner."

"What about Peggy? I've seen the way you look at her, you're completely smitten."

Steve shrugged and looked down at the pavement, kicking one of the few rocks near him. "I don't think that's going anywhere."

"Well, I want you to be a good dancer when you do find the right partner so," Edith wrapped her arms around Steve's neck, causing his eyes to go wide. "Calm down, Rogers. We're just dancing." The strawberry blonde said with a laugh. "Now put your hands on my waist."

Steve obeyed Edith's orders and they swayed back and forth. "This doesn't seem like slow dancing music." He pointed out, the music was too upbeat for this dance.

"Just be quiet and enjoy the moment." Edith said with a smile before putting her head in the crook of his neck. "You know I love you, right?" She asked as she looked up at Steve, who was already smiling down at her. "What?"

"You're going to make some guy really lucky some day."

Edith's smile grew wider as she squeezed Steve's hand. "And you better be around for it."

"Is there any particular reason why I'm here?" Delilah asked, bringing Steve out of the last normal memory of Edith.

"Would you rather be in a country where you don't speak the language and have no money?" Steve questioned, standing across from his old best friend's great granddaughter.

"How do you know I don't speak German?" The strawberry blonde questioned with a raised brow.

"Do you?" Tony shot back, speaking to the strawberry blonde for the first time.

Delilah paused before she clicked her tongue. "No." She turned to Loki when Steve and Tony were having their own conversation. "You couldn't try to start your world domination in France? Or in any other country where I know the language?" She asked as the night sky lit up with lightning and thunder started crackling.

"What's the matter? Scared of a little lightning?" Steve asked when he saw Loki's panicked expression.

"I'm not overly fond of what follows." Loki stated before something hit the top of the jet, causing it to shake.

Tony put on his Iron Man helmet and pushed the button to open the door. "What are you doing?" Steve asked as a rather muscular man with long blond hair landed in the jet.

The man walked over to Tony and hit him with his hammer, sending Tony flying into Steve and knocking them both on the ground.

"Well, shit." Delilah said as the man grabbed Loki by the neck and spun his hammer as they made their way to the entrance again. The two were flying through the sky when Tony and Steve got up.

"Another Asgardian?" Natasha Romanoff shouted over the stormy weather.

"They all seem very friendly." Delilah said as she rubbed her arms for warmth. "Do you mind closing the door? It's a little chilly in here."

"If he frees Loki or kills him, the Tesseract is lost." Tony pointed out, ignoring the strawberry blonde.

"Stark, we need a plan of attack." Steve said as Tony made his way to the entrance.

"I have a plan. Attack." Tony said before jumping out of the jet and following the Asgardian's path.

"I would sit this one out, Cap." Natasha said as Steve grabbed a parachute and strapped himself to it.

"I don't see how I can."

"These guys come from legend. They're basically Gods." Delilah pointed out.

"There's only one God, ma'am, and I'm pretty sure he doesn't dress like that." Steve said as he grabbed his shield and went to the entrance. "Make sure Delilah stays safe." He called to Natasha before jumping out.

"I hope there is a change of clothes where we're going because I am tired of this dress." Delilah huffed as she put her head back against the metal wall and closed her eyes. "I can't wait to go home and sleep in my own bed."

"Is there any particular reason why Rogers hasn't taken his eyes off you since he saw you?" Natasha asked as she flew the jet.

"He took them off me when he was fighting." Delilah corrected.

"Don't avoid the question." The ex-assassin said, Delilah could hear the smile in her voice.

"From what I know, my grandma was an agent in World War II and she was best friends with Captain long before the experiment took place. They and Bucky were like the three musketeers." Delilah repeated the basic facts that she remembered Edith telling her. She didn't want to get into the personal stuff, mainly because it wasn't her place to tell.

"That still doesn't explain much." Natasha pointed out.

"Apparently I'm the spitting image of her. I mean I knew we looked a lot alike but not exactly the same." Delilah said. She got up from her seat and stood next to the pilot seat that Natasha was in. "I'm not going home, am I?"

"Afraid not, Caldwell. You know S.H.I.E.L.D has been trying to find you for years. They are not going to let you go once they find you."

"I know, there's a reason why I was under the radar for so long. Especially after the whole Fairbanks incident." Delilah looked down at her hands as she picked at her blue gown. She rarely thought of the earthquake that caused the most populated city in Alaska to level out. She was the only survivor and she knew that she should have been the only one to die that day.

"You know you couldn't have avoided that." Natasha pointed out, recalling everything that Nick Fury and the files told her in regards to the strawberry blonde.

"Yes, I could have." Delilah ran her hands through her tangled hair as she walked back to her seat. "It'll be twelve years next week. And four years since Nana."

"Stop blaming yourself, Delilah."

"I literally destroyed a whole city and killed all but one person in my family." Delilah spat. "It's kind of impossible not to blame myself."

*****

not edited but what else is new.

i know i said i wouldn't update until like thursday but the feels are still so strong from aou i had to update. i feel like this is a shitty chapter but its necessary and it's basically just a filler to find out more about delilah.