Chapter 3

This Has Been Edited By Meliza

I woke up to the smell of cooking meat, my stomach growled. Dad was probably downstairs making his famous spiced bacon while mom was making her fluffy pancakes. My mouth started to water just at the thought of food. I rubbed my eyes to clear the morning fog from them. What I saw however was not what I expected. In front of me was a hard wooden table with eight chairs around it. I heard two distinct voices coming from another room.

"Henry! Get that meat off the spit before it burns! I don't want smoke filling up our home. Especially not when there's a sickling in here."

"Okay! I'm movin’, I'm movin’." I heard rustling as I guess Henry went to get the meat. Inside, I was panicking. Where was I? What was I doing here? I was about to get up and find the people to whom the voices belonged. But when I got up my head started pounding and dizziness almost overtook me. I moaned and fell back onto the bed. It was then that I remembered everything what had happened. I even remembered the two mole like faces staring down at me just before I had passed out. I groaned. So that's where I was and that's why the whole room was made of packed dirt.

"Henry! I told you to watch the sickling! He must be starving!" The first voice scolded.

"But Ma! You told me to get the meat off the spit!" Henry protested loudely.

"Yes but I also told you to watch the sickling! Why can't you do two things at once?" The woman voice, referred to as ma said.

“Argh! Here's your meat, I’ll go and see if the sickling has survived your yelling." Henry yelled.

I heard shuffling and the next thing I knew a hairy mole’s face was looking down at me.  

"Ma! It's alive!" Henry yelled.  

"No, really dummy? Of course it's alive! How could it be groaning if it weren't alive?" Ma yelled back sarcastically. "Now help it up and get it over to the table. Maybe it will talk to us when it has some grub in it’s tum."  

"Yeah Ma," Henry obeyed and tried to help me sit up. He was grunting heavily and made no progress whatsoever. I found it kinda amusing that this little mole was getting so tired just trying to help me sit me up.

"Ma! It’s too big and heavy I can't budge it." He complained to his mother.

My dizziness had been slowly passing and I felt slightly better, I quietly chuckled at the little mole. Henry turned to me in alarm and from somewhere the other mole appeared in my line of sight.

"Ma wha-what did it just do?" 

" I don't know sonny, maybe it's more dangerous than we thought."

Finally I couldn’t take it anymore, the scene before me was just too comical. I mean come on two cat sized, walking, talking and arguing moles. You didn't see that every day.  

"Excuse me”, I said as politely as possible, “but I couldn't help noticing that you were talking about me and thought that you might want to know that my name is Toby not "it"." 

They stood there, mouths agape. Henry was swaying back and forth as if he were about to faint. "Ma! It talked!"  He said sounding scared.

I sat up slowly this time more carefull then before, "Of course I talked. I am capable of speech." 

They just stood there staring at me like I was some alien, which I guess I kinda was to them. It was at that moment that my phone began to ring - who knew you could get reception in another world? It was one of those funny ringtones that yelled at you to get your phone out of your pocket. I had forgotten I even brought my phone. I took it out of my pocket and answered it.