A Rescue Plan

"You did what!?" Arthur exclaimed. "How could you let this happen!?"

"I'm so sorry," Merlin groaned in self-loathing, burying his head in his hands.

"You better be sorry! Because of you, my sister could be dead!" Arthur threw his goblet at Merlin's face. Merlin barely flinched as the hard cup painfully collided with his cheek. Merlin said nothing, for once, and just kept looking down, even when the blood began to trickle down his cheek.

"I should nearly have you hung for this, boy." Uther spat out the words hatefully. Merlin stood, ashamed, with his face down, staring at the stone. "Or, I've got half a brain to give you lashes and time in the stocks!" Merlin's eyes blurred in shame with drippy, salty tears.

"Well? What say you, boy? Would you like to make any pleas of mercy?"

"Anything you give me will not nearly justify the suffering I must've caused. Nothing compares to the pain of hatred for myself at this moment. But if you do those things to me now, there will be no time to save her." Merlin said, choking on a few words. Uther was silent for a long while, until he finally spoke.

"I agree, boy. Arthur!" Uther looked up to his son who was standing nearby. "Bring forth a four man group of your best warriors." He ordered. Arthur dipped his head and speed-walked out of the room.

"Now, Merlin." Uther put his head in his hands, shaking his head.

"Your Highness, I really need to go rescue her."

"Are you daft?" Uther looked up in disbelief. "Of course you can't save go save her! You're the reason she's gone in the first place!"

Merlin could only be silent.

"Go back to Gaius's chambers and stay there. We'll have Morgana back by the morning. Consider this your punishment." Uther said.

Merlin nodded his head and turned to leave, guilt rushing through him with every step. By the time he got to his room, he collapsed on the bed and stayed there, sobbing.