Chapter 13

Chapter 13

Exiting the restroom, I gulped as Mallory grabbed my arm in front of the biker boys and dragged me around the corner. "Keep your mouth shut and your feet moving." Her pincers dug into my arm, telling me I wasn't her favorite pet anymore. "Going AWOL puts us all in danger. Don't do that again. Or so help me God I'll call the D.A. myself and dump you in the tombs."

"Nothing happened I couldn't handle." I thought of the spoon I'd threatened to beat into the Jaw Man's head. Okay, so something almost happened...

Sam came out the side door and tensed when he saw me being manhandled by his partner. "God, I hate when you do that." He was talking to me, unfortunately.

He shoved a grocery bag into my arms, took my elbow from Mallory, and urged me toward the truck, which he'd relocated to this side of the building. Obviously, I'd caused a mini-manhunt by the team and a massive coronary for Sam.

My favorite bikers chose that point to saunter around the corner, chaps slapping, boots kicking up dirt, and crowding our space between the truck and the building. Warning them of their mistake wasn't an option: Sam's hand was already behind his back gripping his Glock.

"Cool down, Cowboy," I whispered, leaning against his side to keep him from pulling his weapon while waving to my new admirers. This did not prove calming for Sam.

Jaw Man nodded as he approached. "Ma'am." Taking his cue, his biker buddies one by one repeated the salutation, each man tucking his chin politely as he passed with Redhead lingering longer than I preferred. Sam's body felt like a brick wall.

When the last biker trailed into the store and the door slammed shut, Sam threw a heavy arm over my shoulder and curled it around my neck in a mock headlock. "Get in the truck, woman, before you give me a stroke." His stilted laugh told me he'd just sweated out his worst fears.

"There's always time to be jealous, tough guy." I started for the driver side, but Sam spun me around and escorted me to the passenger door, demoting me to sidekick once again.

"You're playing with fire, Larson." Sam gave me a hard look.

. After a silence, Sam whistled and Max came running to the truck with a stick the size of a small tree in his mouth. He dropped his prize with a thud.

"You were on seek for mama, not toys. Bad dog." Sam pointed down. Max dropped to his belly, the branch at this paws, and peered up with sheepish eyes. "And don't give me that innocent look. You're as bad as she is."

Max whined. I winced.

"Even my dog knows when to trust me on my own." I slammed my door.

Sam mumbled under his breath about me and pointed Max into the back seat.

In the grocery bag I found energy bars, water bottles, caffeinated speed-freak drinks, and a peel-top can of chunky dog food for Max. As Sam started the engine, I fed my co-conspirator. "You're gonna love what dad got you for dinner."