Ch. 7 - Digging A Hole Too Deep

Risa quietly followed the guards as she walked through the underground cave network underneath her village. Of course she was aware of how extensive the pathways were since they were the only way in and out of the village, however she couldn't confirm that she'd traveled the entire maze. The new twists and turns she was walking through served to be unfamiliar ground.

"We're here." One of the guards spoke gruffly.

The bluette frowned and let out a slow breath to prepare herself before approaching the bars a little ways in front of her to the right. The guards didn't follow her, making them just out of earshot, but they kept watch of her movements. Facing the cell, she looked in to see Kakuzu sitting against the back wall with his head down in the dim light. He still had on the tattered clothing she last saw him in and it didn't look like his wounds were getting any better.

"Kakuzu..." She didn't know how to start as she was at a loss for words. It broke her heart to see him in this state. "I'm here."

The male didn't answer her, nor did he move. She didn't know what he was feeling, but she guessed it was most likely a mixture of anger, disappointment, and possibly some embarrassment. Shifting closer to the bars, Risa squatted down so she could try to look at him at eye level. The cell wasn't that big, but it was large enough that if she were to reach her arm in, she still wouldn't be able to touch him.

"You're innocent until proven guilty." Risa spoke up. "I know you're more than innocent. All of these petty bystanders are just jealous of what ya can do and the opportunities Lord Tatsuo gave ya. I'm going to do whatever I can to help ya, I promise."

She placed her hands on the bars to steady herself while she was talking, which alarmed the guards. They immediately came over to restrain her and reinstate the rules of visitation. Before Risa could react, something black rushed past her through the bars and created a barrier between her and the guards. Standing up slowly with wide, shocked eyes, she traced the black tendrils back to Kakuzu, who was now standing at the bars in front of her. The guards, knowing better than to take on their prisoner based on abilities alone, decided against their assault and left to report the incident.

Risa could get a good look at him now. He looked like he hadn't slept in days with how red his eyes were. She could also tell that he wasn't eating properly since he looked smaller than she'd last seen him. Contrary to her statement of his innocence, she was shocked to see the tattooed bands that adorned both of his wrists as they signified that he was now seen as a criminal.

"Go home, Risa."

"This is home."

Kakuzu narrowed his eyes as he looked into equally stubborn ones. "Stop joking around and leave."

"You're my partner, Kakuzu. There's nothing more like home than that." She spoke calmly although her own irritation with his attitude was growing. "Ya should know better than anything else that pushing me away doesn't work."

The male retracted his tendrils once the guards were out of sight and turned away from her to sit back down and brood. That was the most he could do since his chakra had been siphoned. It was about time the warden came to redo the seal since he could feel himself getting stronger.

Reaching through the bars, Risa grabbed a hold of his shirt sleeve so he wouldn't run away. There was no door he could hide behind now. The tugging revealed a lot more stitches than she realized he had. Concerned with the size and amount, she didn't hesitate to question him.

"What have ya been doing to yourself?"

"It's none of your concern."

"The village doctor will tell me any and every medical treatment you've received if I ask. I don't want to do that, so I'm asking ya. Not to mention that technique ya just did. When did ya learn that?"