Ch. 4 - Solo Mission

"They don't recognize us as one of them or a threat." Tatsuo grumbled as he sat at the head of his meeting. All of the top shinobi of Takigakure were gathered in the main hall of Tatsuo's home. The village head had just caught wind that the five great nations were going to be 'auctioning off' tailed beasts and, currently, Takigakure wasn't even in the running to receive one.

"Why don't we invade them and show them our strength?" One of the shinobi requested.

"They speak so highly of peace among all nations, yet they want to keep all the power for themselves." Another chimed in. "They're nothing but greedy bastards."

"Our village has plenty of skilled shinobi!"

A fifteen year old Risa sat next to her father with her hands clasped in her lap, listening to everyone's complaints and anger. She too was frustrated with the lack of acknowledgement their village received, however she wasn't sure that invasion was the best option at hand.

"We have weapons too. Kakuzu is our best fighter. Risa's right behind him."

"Yeah, they could go toe-to-toe with these so-called 'kage'!"

Risa looked up at Kakuzu, who was quietly listening across the room from her. He didn't show any agreement or denial with anyone's words and she wondered what he was thinking.

"No offense, but we should not send a woman out for a man's fight." Someone's voice rang out. A couple of others voiced their agreement, which in turn caused an uproar of more angry voices.

Kakuzu watched his partner's head turned sharply in the direction of who was speaking, but her father instantly shut her down before she could make a response.

"Enough! I will take all requests and concerns and evaluate them." Tatsuo quieted the room. Clearing his throat, he adjusted the opening of his robe before moving into the next point of their meeting. The rest of the meeting droned on and the moment it was over, Risa would've left if the village head hadn't called her over.

"Yes, sir." Risa greeted him. Tatsuo glanced over the female with a sense of pride. Although she was fifteen, her age couldn't fathom the amount of experience she had. He didn't want her to start over thinking the comments of some of her co-shinobi, but he figured she wouldn't based on her personality.

"I have a task for you. I need you to infiltrate a message for me."

"A solo mission?"

"Precisely."

After receiving the details of her mission, Risa left the hall and made her way back home to pack a few things. Her father wasn't home and her mother didn't ask too many questions so she could be in and out quickly. She would've stopped to see Kakuzu before she left, but she was told since this was a solo mission, the less people that knew where she was, the better.

╱╲●╱╲╱╲✠╱╲╱╲●╱╲

Travel had been easy-going as the navy bluette made her way towards the east. She figured from the tip that was given to her, the best way to get to her destination was to move along the borders of the Land of Iron, then head down south. It took her nearly a week and a half to make the journey and find her targets.

"We should stop in this town for the night. I'm tired of sleeping in trees."

"You just want to go there because of the brothel."

"You caught me man."

Risa sat back in the shadows and watched two men, who had stopped to take a break, head into a nearby traveler's town. She'd been trying to determine from watching their actions which male had the scroll she needed, but she had to find a good way to steal it regardless.