~ (Chapter Four) ~

- The Gift

I cracked both of my eyes open when I heard a noise other than Big Ben itself.

"Rose?" My voice threatened me that it was going to break from the early morning. I was extremely tired and I couldn't help it.

Mrs. Margaret's gracious voice filled my ears with relief, "Mickey dear?"

I sat up scratching the birds nest on top of my head, "Is it Friday?" Looking from Mrs. Margaret's short body to my large day filled window, I couldn't place if it was the end of the week or not.

She chuckled softly and walked over to my bed sitting down next to me. The comforter sank just a little bit under her weight. "Yes sweetheart, It's Friday morning. I came to give you your breakfast and your train pass to work today."

I nodded yawning. Taking the food filled platter from her I sat it down on the desk next to me, "Thank you Mrs. Margaret.."

She looked so hopeful at me like I would turn into a magnificent creature right in the blink of an eye. "I also came here to give you a gift, or a token, for being the daughter I've always wanted..you told me long ago when you were just a wee child you wanted something on your 18th birthday too."

I tilted my head in confusion turning to face her sitting down still. "I told you that?"

Mrs. Margaret nodded happily looking around the clock towers' room then her sharp green eyes finally landing on me. "Yes, you were so excited about it, I never knew why."

I twiddled my thumbs and wiggled my toes trying to bring back that specific memory.. I remembered the day she had taken me under her wing when It had been cold and rainy outside.. That day she had brought me into the secret entrance of Big Ben.. That day we had told each other things no one else on Earth would ever know about us. We had been drinking hot chocolate when Mrs. Margaret told me about her disorder for not being able to have kids.. I had almost cried into my steamy drink with every word she had spilled to me.

"I remember things from that day, but I completely forgot about that specific detail." I told her furrowing my brows in frustration for not being able to remember.

"It's okay Mickey, I do and that's all that matters right now.." She smiled and bent down to get something off the floor. It was the cutest wrapped box I'd ever seen. I of course, couldn't wrap a box to save my life, but Mrs. Margaret could.

I widened my eyes in shock as I slowly tore the party paper off. She looked like she might die any second because of my reaction. "I know it's not a goo-"

I immediately interrupted her attempt to say, 'it was the worst gift possible.' by wrapping my arms around her in a warming hug.

Mrs. Margaret relaxed with a sigh as I told her, "Thank you, this was the the best gift anyone has ever given me.." Holding her tight like my own mother I then realized that when I do find my parents that I wished they were exactly like Mrs. Margaret..

She pulled apart with a big breath and wiped the underneath of her eyes, "Before I start bawling on such a great day, lets see if your gift works."

I jumped up with excitement because I knew a great way to start my gift off. Placing my gift on the bed I hopped over to my stack of school binders to grab another "gift" you could even say..