Chapter Thirteen

After

━━━━━━━

I keep thinking about the noise she made as I hit her with the rock.

It was guttural, the kind of sound a hurt animal would make. She looked up at me, blonde hair mixing with the dirt, and her eyes said everything her lips could not. Her knuckles were white, her face was pale, and the blood...

It was everywhere.

And then there was the sound of the rock against her skull. I hear it everywhere now – in the slamming of lockers at school, in the bang of food trays against cafeteria tables, in the piece of chalk my teacher drops in class. I hear it, and then I'm back to that night, back to standing over Blaire Olsen as she used her elbows to try and crawl away from me.

Crawl, because her legs had stopped working by that point.

I remember feeling nothing but the sharp rock in my hands. Even as her eyes shot over my shoulder, as if she desperately held out on hope that someone would come and stop this, I felt nothing beyond a vague sense of irony at how much the queen of Berewood had fallen.

There were noises all around me – the rush of water from the river, the flapping of birds fleeing the scene, and a crack of a branch as I took one step forward. Just one. Her breathing picked up as I came closer, and she said something that resembled no

She kept repeating it. No. No. No. No.

Kept looking behind me, searching for someone in the shadows.

But it was just me and her there, and for once, Blaire Olsen didn't stand a chance.