Chapter Two

Jamie | After

━━━━━━━

I don't like to think I'm a violent person.

I pride myself on control, on assessing the situation before reacting. Mom says it's a gift from my dad's side, but my sister Jess says it's because I'm a freak. Either way, this instinct has helped me get through life, to prepare for the worst before it happens.

Stop, breathe and think. That's all I've ever needed to do.

Until now.

A sharp cry escapes my best friend's lips. Well, as of two minutes ago, I guess I should say ex-best friend. Addy's skin swells before my eyes and a drop of blood seeps from her nose like a fallen rose petal. She raises her hand, looking back and forth between me and her red fingertips. Her dark eyes are wide with shock.

My knuckles begin to throb. It's an unfamiliar pain, coming in stormy waves. For a second, I almost feel bad about hitting her, but when those wild almond-coloured eyes dart between Archie and me, the feeling miraculously disappears. Addy believes she is the victim here – like I didn't just walk in on her kissing my boyfriend of two years. Her parted lips tell me she wants Archie to jump to her defence, like I'm the monster and she's the damsel.

It disgusts me. It makes me want to punch her again.

Archie cups Addy's hand and everything around me stops, zeroing in onto his skin touching hers. How did I miss this?

'I didn't know you were back today,' he says, cheeks flushed. 'I – I was going to talk to you tomorrow. We were going to –'

We.

We, as in Archie and Addison. Addy and Arch. Two of my best friends, who I'd turn to if anything bad happened. We, as in not me, Archie and Addy. We, as in Archie and Addy. Just Archie and Addy. Nausea rocks my stomach. I grit my teeth and try to ignore it, but no matter how hard I try, I feel like I'm going to be sick.

I look at Addy – at her dark hair and flushed cheeks. Is this really the same girl who came to my house last week, bag filled with chocolate just because she knew I was sad?

'Jay, are you listening?' I blink at Archie; his eyes are big, blue and, for the first time, honest. They watch my every breath and his hands shake as he talks, but his words are steady and practiced. 'I said we were going to talk to you about it. Tomorrow, when I thought you came home.'

I laugh, but there's nothing funny about it. Addy must see something in my eyes, because she looks at the floor and shuffles her feet. I barely recognise her as she looks up to Archie – my Arch – eyes shimmering with unshed tears.

'I tried to tell you.' She turns to me. Her voice is desperate, words quick. 'We wanted to wait for the right time, the right place. I –'

'Is that my sweater?' My voice is solid like marble.

Addy looks down, lashes flickering as she tugs at the hem of the white knitted material. Her jaw sets and a lone tear drops to the ground. When she meets my eyes again, she is pale.

'I don't –'

'You said you were going to wear that for Sky's birthday. I only said yes because –'

'Does it really matter?' A vein throbs in Archie's neck, the same spot I've kissed more times than I can count. 'It's just a sweater. If you want it back, then she can –'

'I think Addison can speak for herself.' I turn to her and raise a brow. 'Well?'

Addy releases a breath, fingers clenched into a fist at her sides. 'Jay, listen to me. Do you honestly think I wanted this to happen? I –'