29

Zuko's Dream

The morning sun was still rising by the time that the trio got back to their old apartment. Soft, orange hues filtered through the open windows. Their little home was all packed up, save for the furniture that had come with the place. Soon, they would be moving to a bigger apartment in the upper ring. But for now, their homely home was more than enough for the girl. Keya smiled softly. Things were looking up- not just for her, but for her two companions as well.

Iroh would soon run his own tea house, as he had always dreamt of. 'The Jasmine Dragon' would surely be a successful spot for upper ring folks. She was also proud of Zuko for making the right choice. Her fears regarding her friend's dark past (and his intentions) had somewhat dissipated now. The banished Prince was really on his way to joining the right side, just as she had so desperately hoped for. If he kept this up, she could even open up about her airbending! Perhaps then, he could train her a bit before she met the actual Avatar. That way, she wouldn't be completely useless once she started learning more about her inherited talent.

Iroh quietly closed the door behind him. He was the last to enter their apartment. Before him, Zuko stood silently. His posture was slouched and his skin was pale. The poor boy had undergone quite the conflict, it had left him feeling rather discombobulated and faint. Had he made the right choice?

"You did the right thing, letting the Avatar's bison go free." Iroh commented supportively.

But Zuko didn't focus on his uncle's words. The Prince suddenly struggled to see clearly. His vision wavered, leaving him to try and find something near to hold on to. His hand grasped a side table nearby.

"I don't feel right..." Zuko mumbled. His skin felt so hot. His vision now completely blurred over with vertigo. The boy let out a tired groan, before his eyes rolled backward and he collapsed. The vase on the side table tumbled as he slammed against it. Just as he fell, so did the vase. Its broken clay clattered loudly, Keya flinched at the loud sound.

"Zuko!" Iroh and Keya yelled in unison.

The conflicted Prince had completely collapsed. Iroh cradled his nephew and put a hand against his forehead. "He's got a bad fever. Keya, prepare his futon and get some water please. I'll undress him."

"Yes, sir." She replied and got to work.

First, she grabbed Zuko's futon and placed it out neatly for him. After that, she walked back to the kitchen to fill a bucket of water. Her fingers felt the water's cool temperature, before setting the bucket down next to Iroh. It sloshed slightly, since it was a bit too heavy for the girl to carry, but she got the job done anyway.

In the meantime, Iroh had taken off his nephew's robes. Zuko was left in his brown trousers, his pale chest was bare. His entire body was sweating. His shoulders trembled and shivered from the feverish cold that he felt. Although Keya respectfully kept her eyes away from his body, she wasn't surprised to find out that the talented firebender had a rather... strong disposition. He clearly had many years of training experience, if his physique was anything to go by. She helped Iroh with placing him on his futon and she gently tucked his blanket up to his chin. Nevertheless, she sighed worriedly when he continued to shiver beneath his sheets. He groaned softly.

Iroh turned to the pot of water. Keya handed him a rag, which he in turn dipped in the wooden bucket and squeezed out.

"You're burning up. You have an intense fever." Iroh explained to the half-conscious boy, despite not knowing if he was listening. He dabbed it on his nephew's forehead to cool the boy's fiery temperature. "This will help cool you down."