Prologue

Prologue

"You're what now?" asked a groggy Sydney Gotham, clearly annoyed at having been woken up from bed.

"Not a what--a who," came the reply from the impeccably dressed man standing in front of her apartment at four in the morning.

Sydney let out a loud yawn.

"Listen here, mister. Whatever it is you're selling, I don't want, alright?" Saying so, she closed the door. But the man was quick, for he placed his foot between the door and the wall exactly as she was about to close it.

"Oh my god, what do you want?" She was beginning to get irritated.

"A word, please. Lord Hermes said you could help," he pleaded.

At the mention of the God's name, she seemed to have straightened up and her eyes were more alert now.

"Did you say 'Lord Hermes'?" she asked, her voice sharp.

'Its been two years', was what she was thinking.

"Yes. Please, let me in. It is rather important," he said and raked his hand across his brown hair, clearly restless. And he had been. Until Lord Hermes told him to talk to the mortal. He was beginning to get restless again at the woman's blatant refusal to converse with him.

He couldn't believe he was seeking the help of a mortal. If the other Gods knew, he would be laughed and mocked at. Alas, he could do nothing at all, which was why he was seeking her at this odd hour.

"Well, come on in then. Make yourself at home. Just like your other Godly friends did two years ago," she said with a small smile, opening the door wider and allowing him in.

She guided him to the couch and switched on the lights.

"Yes, I heard the whole ordeal with Lord Hades. Its a pity. I'm very sorry you had to go through that," he said, taking a seat.

"What's this about?" Sydney asked instead, tying her dark hair into a ponytail, and sitting across the man.

"Well, let me formally introduce myself. I am Cupid," he said, giving a small bow.

Her eyes grew wide and she opened her mouth as she struggled to speak. After a few seconds she managed out," Like 'The Cupid'?"

Cupid gave a small chuckle. Clearly he had been expecting that. Lord Hermes had told him to be prepared for such naïve questions and had also told him to not roll his eyes.

"Yes, that is me."

"Okay, obviously you have something important to tell me, but before you do, I have to ask you," she said, sitting on the edge of her seat, clearly excited.

"Please, go on," he said patiently.

"Where are your wings? And your arrow? And aren't you supposed to be, erm , I don't know, tiny? You actually look a little like Justin Bieber," she rambled off.

"My fair Sydney, one question at a time," he said, chuckling.

"Oh right." Her face turned red.

"My wings and arrows are hidden from plain sight. I do not think it is wise to roam around in my true form here in the mortal world."

"Good choice."

"And as for my appearance, I believe it has been a common misconception that I am a tiny little boy," he continued, affronted. "I can assure you, I am not a boy. I have a wife," he added with a wink to which Sydney let out a low whistle.

"Cupid's got a girl," she sang, and he laughed.

"Lastly, I would very much like to know about this 'Bieber' person. You are not the first person today to tell me that. I was walking by and a young girl threw herself at me and demanded that I make babies with her," he said.