10 | E

Emmanuelle

All eyes turned to me. I did not like being the center of attention and to my luck it felt like the applause went on forever which was overwhelming. Luckily, most eyes were directed back to the stage when the president continued his speech. However, a few others stayed focused on me for a while longer.

"Isn't this the company you worked for?" Isaac looked surprised.

"It is." I nodded.

"How come you didn't mention that you're a shareholder?"

"Didn't think it was that important." I took a sip of my champagne.

"Your company just donated five million dollars. I can argue that it is."

"It's not my company. I wouldn't be working as your assistant if it was."

With furrowed eyebrows and an unsure smile, he leaned closer to speak directly into my ear, saying; "Well, if anything, I am glad to have you as my assistant."

When he did this, I got a glimpse of Dimitri glaring at us. He did not try the slightest to hide his emotions as they could be read from his displeased and cold temperament. Once the different speakers had done their part, we were served a three-course meal that everyone seemed to enjoy. Every now and then between taking my bites my eyes would find Dimitri already looking at me. I fought to stop the eye contact. But, like magnet and steel I felt drawn to him, unable to ignore his presence.

"Should we go over to say 'hi'?" Isaac inquired.

"Hhmm?" I had heard his question loud and clear, but I needed more time to come up with an answer.

"You keep looking over there."

"No, it's okay." I dismissed what he said and changed my focus to the heavenly dessert that was placed in front of me.

"Sure? I would also like to exchange a few words with him— you know, about the generous donation on behalf of the other sponsors."

I finished the dessert in about two bites, taking my time to fully enjoy it before I replied. "Sure. Why not." I smiled although mentally I was not prepared for the awkwardness that would join us. He got up first and held his hand out to me like a gentleman.

Most guest were back to conversing with one another whilst a few couples made their way to the dance floor. Slow, jazz-like music was playing accompanied by the shared laughs and conversations around the room. With my hand wrapped around his arm we maneuvered our way to Dimitri's table, stopping a few times as many different people came up to Isaac for a quick chat.

Dimitri was engaged in a conversation of his own with one of the women Isaac had introduced me to earlier that night. She was a tall, black-haired woman with Asian features and a thick English accent. During Isaac's introduction of her to me she proudly mentioned that she works in the fashion industry and has her own line of luxurious clothing.

What she did not mention which he did as soon as she had walked away was that she was married to a much older millionaire who she inherited everything from when he mysteriously died in his sleep. And now, she was sitting so close to Dimitri that her gigantic bosoms were almost stuffed into his face.

"Mind if we join?"

"Not at all. Please, have a seat." Dimitri answered. The woman on the other hand did not seem so happy about us joining them. Isaac pulled back the chair on Dimitri's right for me to sit in after which he took a seat next to me, sandwiching me between the two of them.

"Isaac Kline." He extended his arm to Dimitri who shook his hand and replied with his name. "On behalf of the sponsors I would like to thank you for your donation." He continued.