Chapter 03

Mitchell was waiting for him by the car to start their patrol.

There was no emergency, no event, nothing that could predict a complicated day. They did their usual route, patrolled, helped some people and, as always, talked about their lives.

But the day quickly became complicated.

As they patrolled and Carlos had time to think about things, to try to convince himself to find the time to tell TK what he was going through, they got a radio message.

"Emergency alert at Barton Creek. Apparently part of the roof of a store has fallen in and the two adjacent ones are in danger. We know you are the closest and you need to evacuate people. It's the Games store, apparently they were having an event today and it's crowded with kids and teens."

"We're on our way, we'll be there in four minutes max," Mitchell said.

Carlos looked out the window. He already had a hard enough time dealing with cases of abused kids, but it was his duty and what he needed to do to feel better about himself. But he wasn't comfortable where there were a lot of children and teenagers.

"Have you thought about having children?" TK had asked him on more than one occasion.

"Yeah, I guess, like everyone else."

"I hadn't really thought about it before I met you." The first time they had talked about it was right after TK moved in with him. "I guess with all my problems, I didn't feel like I was capable of being a father. But then you came along."

The smile that played on TK's lips at that moment warmed Carlos's heart every time he remembered it, no matter how nervous or tired he was. That image was his anchor to feel better.

He didn't notice when they arrived, only that Mitchell parked the car.

"You're very pensive today, Reyes. Everything okay?"

"Yeah, just me being quiet."

If he wasn't able to tell TK the truth, he certainly couldn't be totally honest with his patrol partner.

There were quite a few people leaving the mall, they were evacuating it, but a lot of curious people were still there, talking, taking pictures and making videos.

"People are the worst."

"You can say that again..." Carlos muttered.

It was hard not to think about the people who had approached the sixteen-year-old boy who had returned home after having been in a cult, having been sexually abused and having been lost for two weeks. The press, or strangers who discovered his name, approached him, asked him questions, wanted to take pictures, even at a time when the internet era was still in its infancy.

During the first months of buzz about the case, his name and his face were famous, his story was news, even if only for crazy teenagers who said they were very turned on by his telling them what had happened to them. The high school newspaper made several files and many classmates sought him out to talk to him about the trial, from which he tried to keep as far away as possible.

"Reyes, this is serious." When he reacted again, Mitchell was staring, hands on hips and a stern expression. "If there is something wrong with TK..."

"No!" he said, almost startling his partner. " No, everything is going great with TK. I just haven't slept well the last few nights, that's all."

He walked past Mitchell and noticed her gaze on him.

If it wasn't for TK...if it wasn't for him, I'd be in absolute shit right now. Or maybe I wouldn't have even gotten out of bed. He's the only one who unknowingly helps me fight the nightmares, Mitchell. Don't even think about saying there's something wrong between us.