• rooftop •

Izuku suddenly calling him out of nowhere brought him back to his senses, and he stupidly blurted out, "What are you doing here-?

For a second, Midoriya shuffled in embarrassment, having realized that he addressed Todoroki while he was the epicentre of a curious crowd. Said crowd now looking at him, puzzled. 

Todoroki mentally cursed himself for possibly saying the most off-putting thing to him. He pushed his seat behind, the noise making him the hotspot of attention again. 

"Excuse me." He said, sounding more monotonous than he'd intended to.

The crowd buzzed with curiosity, staring at the green-haired guy, then Todoroki, and back at Midoriya again. The boy flushed under the sudden stares, subconsciously twisting the corner of his blazer. 

Todoroki left his classroom, motioning Midoriya to follow him up to a quieter place. The building roof-top.

The terrace of their uni was technically off-limits, but Todoroki had discovered a spot without cameras during his first year, and that has been his go-to escape from reality place ever since.

"I'm sorry about all that." Todoroki attempted to break the awkward silence, "It's hard to find peace and quiet around me. You don't actually have to follow me, I just said that to get out of there. Sorry if this weirded you out." 

Midoriya stared at him quietly, running ever so slightly just to keep up with his wide steps, "I don't mind keeping you company. As long as it doesn't bother you. You didn't seem so comfortable back there, so I'm just glad I could help."

Silence.

Their footsteps were the only thing audible. Soft, uniform, hushed.

Midoriya scratched the back of his head.

"I'll leave if you don't want me around, but I just have a couple of questions. Answer those and I promise to never bother you again." 

"No, er, I didn't mean to say I want you to leave-" He fumbled with his words, embarrassed.

The shorter male smiled reassuringly, "That's good to know, really." 

Todoroki felt at ease. So much at ease that it astonished him.

It was easy relaxing around him.

He was calming.

"I probably know what questions you want answered, but go ahead." He tried to smile back, but his face felt stiff and that's when Todoroki started to feel more like an old man.

Midoriya flashed another smile, (and he did it so easily, too?) before starting, "You work at the library, right? It was you I rant into that day."

"Yeah."

"I knew it was you!" He almost sparkled, and it was now that Todoroki noticed he had very odd, symmetrically placed freckles, "You do look a bit different though."

"I guess it's weird seeing me now, considered, well," he pointed to his hair and face, "This."

"Black's your natural hair colour then? I guess you had your hair re-dyed from that crazy two-toned style?"

Todoroki gave him a questioning look.

"Crazy as in good crazy!" Izuku flailed his arms around, "Crazy in a good way!"

He laughed a light huff.

Izuku smiled, which left Todoroki to wonder if smiling really was as easy as he made it seem.

But he wasn't trying anything weird today.

"My natural colour is actually red and white. I wear a wig in class to not stand out too much. Also, because they have a rule against dyed hair so—" he said, looking up at Midoriya, searching for something.