4. Funeral

DOROTHEA HAD OFTEN WONDERED WHY.

Why.
The question was like a knife.
You could slide it anywhere, you just had to be careful how you do it.

The girl believed this word to be most important, for it could serve as a reply to anything. She didn't have to pay attention, she just needed to ask why. Ask why and continue thinking about what she was thinking beforehand. Ever since she had made that thrilling discovery, she made quite the habit out of it, using it whenever she could, wherever she could.
You would think the Shelbys had gotten used to it by now, and you would be right. Still, it did come as a shock when Polly received an unbothered 'Why?' to her 'The funeral is today, Thea.".

Snapping her head at a reading Dorothy, she snatched the red-covered book from under her wondering eyes, "Get dressed and come downstairs."

From the sudden movement, Dorothea's hands remained in the air, clasping the, now, nonexistent book. She watched as her aunt left her bedroom with it, leaving back a black dress and a scoffing girl. The dress was made of a thin fabric, cinched around the waist area, and ridiculously uncomfortable. It was one Ada's. She could guess by the maroon buttons on its back, that she seemed to so adore at one point. Despite being the only two girls in a family of four brothers, Dorothea and Ada didn't have that much in common. They loved each other. They had a special bond no one could ever cross, but not over something.

Ada didn't find any use in reading, sports, horses, or partying nights out. She liked walking with her girlfriends by the canal, or having picnics in a flowery field. She loved playing the piano, but hated the sound of any other instrument. She would invite her friends for sleepovers and would stay up all night giggling their souls out until one of the boys would come to Ada's door, telling them to go to bed. Her love for jewelry couldn't go unnoticed by anybody, especially not by John, who would occasionally tease her for the sounds her jewels were making, calling her a calf.

Ada's teenage years hadn't been harmful to no one. She was a lovely girl, who would brighten up the room she was in with nothing but a sincere smile. After the war, when the men came back, was when things started to go south-ways. Her love for Freddie Thorne, unlike the one for gemstones, she managed to keep hidden for a surprisingly long time. From laughing with her friends, Ada switched to spending time with Freddie at night. There were a few times in which she had been caught by the littlest Shelby, bribing her with a few sweets and money (that she often never received). But additional from that, unnoticed. Completely and utterly unnoticed. Until she found out about the pregnancy, of course.

Looking into the mirror, Dorothea was repelled at herself. Not only did she loathe how long and tight the dress was, but also how undisturbed and normal she seemed to be. Her cheeks were still the pinkish color they had always been, and her eyes hadn't shed a single tear yet. She felt awful, but her body didn't show any signs of it.

Her family was gathered around the kitchen table, each of them too occupied by certain activities to observe the girl's presence. She shuffled uncomfortably through the total of five people, and searched the fruit basket Polly kept on the counter, hoping to reach an apple. When she didn't, she opened the door with a silent huff, meeting the warm morning air of August.

Outside wasn't much of a buzz. In fact, there wasn't any good reason for it to be. The Shelbys might be powerful, but their state of mind isn't able to influence other's. Not even with a witch in the family. A very demanding witch at that.

The funeral was.. well, a funeral at last. Quiet, sad, and full of weeping people.
Esther was being buried next to her late mother, who had died from tuberculosis when her oldest was just starting school, at age 7. Being only 6, Esther couldn't remember much from back then. Dorothea could still hear her trembling voice while talking about her, 'Dad keeps saying that she was too good for this world. Am I too fucking bad, then?' 'I just want her to be here, with me, that's all I'm asking for. And I know I'll never get it.'