Chapter One

I don't want to fall in love. I don't even want to try. Because you could fall in love one day and never be able to get back up. And that's simply a risk that I'm not willing to take.

Life is already hard enough with a routine of grumbling stomachs, swollen feet, hard labor, and the constant weight on my shoulders of supporting my family. It doesn't need some stupid affair that will end within a few weeks.

Mama has been sick. The kind of sick that isn't healed by some expired liquids found from the depths of our medicine cabinet, but the kind that can only be cured by professional doctors. But money like that doesn't exist in my family, so we have to quietly watch her suffer.

As for my Dad, he does his best but he's getting old. I can tell by the new wrinkles on his tanned skin and the gray hairs growing out of his scalp. He has to cut his work days in order to rest up.

Which leaves me, the oldest of four, to care for everyone. Fortunately, though it doesn't seem like it, I have a job assisting a wealthy family downtown. I garden for them, complete tasks, take care of their rather spoiled but adorable children, and a general range of things that result in a half-decent pay. It's nowhere near enough to cure Mama, but we make do.

I shoved a cracker down my throat and began boiling water on our nearly broken stove. In our small garden, I fetched some mint and placed it in the water and put the pitiful concoction in a cup. In the bedroom, Mama was coughing in the bed. Her face was pale, her body thin and weary, circles around her eyes, and you could see her cheekbones. She was so sweet, the kind of person you liked the instant you saw them. She didn't deserve this.

Even though my "tea" was simply hot water and mint, it didn't fail to light up Mama's beautiful smile. When she smiled, everyone smiled. It was contagious. "Thank you sweetheart." Mama said.

"You're welcome." I kissed her cheek. "I've got to go to work, but Kelsie and Milo should be here." I told her.

She took a sip of her tea. "Alright. Be safe!"

"Yes, ma'am." I looked back at her one more time and walked out our house.

The Austins' house is about a mile away from mine. It's in the nicer part of town where the estates are stunning, clean, and white, and their manicured front lawns have the greenest grass and the occasional fountain.

I reached their door and gave it a breif knock. I never worried about being late because I despise being late. I'm the most punctual person to ever exist, maybe right after Dad.

The door swung open. Mrs. Austin, a well-dressed and blonde haired woman opened the door. "Alice," She greeted me. Before I continued she said, "Toby has his private baseball lesson, so I'll need you to watch Cassandra."

"Of course, ma'am." I responded.

"Then you'll need to prepare lunch. I want tea sandwiches and a cucumber salad. You'll then need to clean up the house. Then, tend to the garden and give the shrubs a trim. After that you should be done."

I quickly memorized her long list of instructions. "Yes ma'am." I nodded.

"Good girl. You can go ahead and begin entertaining Cassandra. She's in her room."

"Right." I headed up her regal staircase and admired the beauty of their home. Grand chandeliers, everything made of marble or other expensive materials, plush sofas, and anything you could ever need is accessible. They had no idea how lucky they were. Our entire house was the size of Cassandra's room.

"Alice!" She looked up from her book and ran up to me, squeezing my leg. "I missed you!"

"I missed you too." I smiled and knelt down so I was on her level.

"Are you going to watch me today? Please say yes! Mommy never plays with me but you always do!" Her voice was hyper, yet so lovable.

"I am!" She triumphantly giggled and danced around in circles, her long, jet-black curls bouncing around. "What do you want to do first?"

"Can I show you my new dolls?" Cassandra showed me two brand new dolls, which were additions to her abundant collection. I recognized one as something my little sister, Kelsie, had seen in a window and wanted so badly, but it was way out of our tight budget.

"Did you give her a name?" I asked.

"Not yet. Do you have any ideas?" Cassandra questioned, twirling her hair. I knew her mother would have scolded her for doing it, but I decided to let it slide. She was only six years old.

"Maybe Merida?" I suggested.

"Nah." Cassandra took a thoughtful look at her doll and mumbled some potential names. "Ooh I've got one! Melissa!"

"That's really creative, Cassandra." I said. She smiled at my praise.

After playing with Cassandra some more, she wanted to watch cartoons, so I let her while I prepared lunch in their impressive kitchen. I began setting the table, placing the sandwiches on a three tiered display and arranged the appropriate dishes and silverware.

"We're home!" Mrs. Austin said, swinging open the door. "Oh good, you've got lunch ready. Toby must be hungry after how well he did at baseball!" Toby smiled up at his mother.

"Mmhm. Cassandra and I played with dolls for a while, and I let her watch cartoons." I reported.

"Good. Alice, how about you join us for lunch?"

"Really?" I was a bit discombobulated. I was never invited to eat lunch with her. While the Austins were politely friendly, they were the type to act like they could be a world higher than everyone else only because they were filthy rich.

"Yes, I need to discuss something with you." Mrs. Austin stated.

"Alright." I pulled up an extra chair and silver table settings for myself. I prayed that she wouldn't be firing me. Although I couldn't conjure up a reason why, I still worried and my heart rate excelled.

Cassandra, Toby, and Mrs. Austin all sat down. "So Alice, I saw something about applications to become one of Princess Elianna's ladies."

I took a bite of cucumber, instantly interested. Princess Elianna was adored by every citizen of Zunia. As the second oldest of the royal family, she was classy, charming, sweet, and fun to listen to on television "Oh?" I said, letting out a breath I didn't know I was holding. I was tremendously grateful that I wasn't getting fired. 

Mrs. Austin nodded. "Yes. She's looking to hire five new ladies to accompany her. It's quite a few steps higher than a basic maid."

"That sounds like a fascinating job." I thought out loud, taking a sip of tea. "What exactly do you do?" I questioned. 

"Well, to properly sum it all up, you get paid to be friends with the princess." Mrs. Austin chuckled a bit. "I was wondering if you would apply. I can help you with it of course. It would look good on our family name. But mainly, I thought you would be the perfect fit. You're attentive, caring, precise, hard-working, thorough, attractive, and personable. All things the princess is looking for."

I couldn't find the words to respond to such praise. I never knew Mrs. Austin thought so highly of me. "Wow, thank you so much!" I finally said.

She gave me a polite smile. "And, it pays well." She winked.

Pays well. While most people's thoughts would travel to luxury vehicles, grand mansions, designer clothes, delicious dinners, and exotic vacations, mine only thought of one thing: Mama finally being healthy again. Her having gained at least ten pounds, her cheekbones not being visible, her normal, thick, brown hair, and the same radiant smile.

I have to get this job.