A Day in the Death

"Ghosts?" I repeat dumbly.

Tosh nods. "No living person can see us. So you must be dead. But where'd you come from, and, if you don't mind me asking, how'd you die?" She says.

So I am dead then. Then I'm in an alternate universe. I'll worry about that part later. "Um, car crash I think. I don't remember it much. I just woke up in the archives with hazy memories." At saying that, I realize I don't actually remember many personal things. I know I went to school, liked math, science fiction, Marvel things. I think I was shy. Quiet at least. And I had a cat. Definitely had a cat. Can't remember my family at all though, but I know I did have a family. I wasn't an orphan or runaway or something.

"Oi, Hazel," Owen says cocking his head and, I think, laughing at me a bit. I snap back to reality. "Who are you?"

The very question I was asking myself, I thought. "I think I'm from an alternate or parallel universe."

They just stare at me. "Well that would explain how she got in here without anyone knowing." Ianto says.

He comes to stand beside me. "I'm Ianto by the way. And that's Tosh and Owen." He reaches to shake my hand.

"I know." I say simply, taking his hand. Probably confusing the hell out him. "I don't remember much. Do you?"

"Yeah," he says. "But we didn't know much in the beginning. Being here where we have so many memories probably helped."

"So I'll probably never know about my life." I sigh. At least I'll get to hang out here, but these guys don't seem to be having too much fun.

"Why do you think you're from an alternate universe?" Tosh asks me, sitting back down, and gesturing for me to do the same.

"You guys don't exist. This whole thing, Torchwood, I mean, is a tv show. That's how I know who you are. Aliens haven't made obvious attacks on my Earth either. So unless you've retconned the whole world, I'm from a different universe."

They look surprised, but accept my explanation. Well, Tosh and Ianto do. "Prove it," Owen says.

I think for a moment. "You know that time you lost your memories of the past two days?" I start. They nod. "Well, that qualified as one episode. I know what happened. There was a humanoid thing pretending to be human. He could alter your memories by touching you. He changed all of you. It wasn't good. By taking the retcon you fixed your memories. He died because he was forgotten, or he was sent back to the void where he supposedly came from." I take a deep breath, having forgotten to when I was talking. "Do you believe me?"

There's silence, then Owen nods. "So you are a... 16?" I nod. "A 16 year old civilian girl from an alternate universe. Somehow you end up as a ghost, in Torchwood. T-"

Tosh cuts him off. "Actually it's not strange that she's here, seeing as this is where people come as ghosts."

"Fair enough, but she's still not connected to Torchwood in any physical way that I can see." Owen continues. "The question is still 'Why is she here?'"

*~*

Alright, another chapter. I know where this book is going, but it's still a challenge getting there. The next chapter should be easier to write, as it isn't mostly talking. But, the characters need to know some of Hazel's story, and the only way for that to happen is for her to tell them. *sigh* Not sure why I brought up Adam. I don't like him. Okay I do know why, I watched that episode the other day. Still though.

If there are spelling, grammar, or continuity errors (like this doesn't line up with the show) please tell me.