Chapter (2^6-6^2) - A Two Day Interlude

Wednesday started more comfortably than Tuesday, but just as early. He awoke, left the bed, and made coffee. He liked this idea of sleeping in front of the TV. It was very relaxing – his habit of switching off the television before he fell asleep was very useful. He visited the bathroom and returned, sipping his coffee. He wondered where he should drive today.

He headed south. The day was beautiful, the road empty, the care divine. He didn’t meet anyone else driving fast. At one point he caught a flash of blue and red at an onramp. It jumped into the same lane as him, getting closer. He flattened his right foot. It soon disappeared.

He headed off eventually, following a road east. There was enjoyment even in this easy road – the sights, the speed, the car, the joy of the unknown. He drove simply.

He headed toward a windier road, enjoying the dips and dives. Some corners were intense with no warnings. The roads were wide, allowing errors to be rectified.  He soared through them all, his engine howling. A café appeared and attracted and he pulled over, not realising where he was.

He walked in, thinking back to the car trip. It had been beautiful; some of those roads – especially the last few – had been delicately beautiful. He looked around for a table, and spotted the waitress. He suddenly realised where he was.

Amanda had arched a single eyebrow when he’d walked in. She’d recognised him straight away, and remembered the creepy note. Her beliefs about him had been shattered with that note. Yet here he was, standing before her, looking as if he had no idea where he was. He stared at her, colour draining from his face. It returned in a flash, then subsided once more. Dejected, he moved to the nearest seat and sat down.

He pulled the menu toward him, noticing nothing. She clacked over. “Hi…Herbert. What can I get you today?”

He wondered about the use of his name. Why did she show she’d read the letter when it obviously hadn’t worked?

“An answer.”

“Excuse me?”

“Why didn’t you call?”

The frankness of the question resulted in a frank answer. “Because you’re creepy. Uh, I mean…” she tailed off. She took a deep breath, then took the seat. “Look, your letter was…sweet, but it was kinda weird too. Firstly, you’re at least fifteen years older than me. Secondly, I don’t know how you knew my name – that was really disturbing, it was like you’d stalked me or something. And finally, I know I’m beautiful. Sometimes, I wish people would stop seeing it, and see me for who I am. You don’t know me at all, you cannot judge someone on their looks. And the fact you’re wanting to “see where this goes” with someone you don’t know…that made me lose interest immediately.”

Herbert sat in silence. Amanda shuffled nervously. This wasn’t fair on her, she hadn’t asked him to try and get with her, why should she have to explain her decision to him?

Herbert broke the silence. “I have two questions. First, how do you expect anyone to meet you if they don’t judge you for how you look? That’s how we meet people who are outside our societal circle – we judge their looks and see if they’re worth talking to. How else do you expect a guy to meet you?”

The point of the question hit Amanda hard. She reacted instinctively. “Why can’t I be alone? What if I wanted to be with a girl? What business is it of yours?”

This seemed like a trio of fair points to Herbert. “Well, as to the last, I was simply curious. Never mind. My other question is how old are you?”

“28”.

Herbert stopped talking again. 15 years? That was a little worrying.

Amanda filled the awkward silence. “How old are you?”