Chapter (5^2+1) -The 'Traction Of Piha

Herbert found himself heading toward Titirangi, wherever that was. The area was still residential. He didn’t know these streets at all. He kept the car running smoothly in 5th, a reflection of his mind. He kept along the main street, never deviating from the signs. After a while, “West Coast Beaches” appeared on the signs. He knew one of these was Piha. He’d been to Piha…20 years ago? Maybe more? He had a vague memory of wind and black sand and being unable to read his book. Maybe it’d be better this morning.

The roads stayed as before. He’d been on them for 7 kilometres and they stayed just as dull. He wandered about turning off. He decided to give it another 5 kilometres or he’d go elsewhere.

In the next few kilometres, he began to get hopeful. The road narrowed. The houses petered out. He sped up a little, not changing gears, the awesome power propelling him into the corners quicker. He shot round one and hit the brakes as a bump leered up at him. The car scraped the concrete, his grimace mirroring the sound.

He’d come across a small collection of buildings. There seemed to be a few restaurants, a dairy and a few other shops. They had appeared out of nowhere. Another bump indicated the end of the little village.  A little confused, Herbert idled through. The road turned and straightened toward a circle. A sign indicated Piha was the second exit. He slowed for another bump. A large 4x4 sped around the circle, heading up the way Herbert was headed. Herbert didn’t worry; he trusted the power of his car.

He made his careful way around the circle, sitting in third gear. The speed limit was still 50. The truck was disappearing around the first corner. Herbert accelerated, not bothering to change gear. A sign warned him to stick to 45. He ignored it and went for 70. He quickly caught the truck, slowing down to match it.

The truck was huge. The rear was almost perfectly square. Herbert’s face was level with the spare tire. The handle on the boot door indicated it was a “Hilux Surf”. Below the number-plate were the letters SSRG V6. Herbert didn’t pay them much attention, all he needed was one long straight. He backed off a little, giving the lumbering beast space.

If Herbert had paid closer attention, he’d have noticed the truck was staying very level through the tight corners. But he didn’t. They passed a sign indicating 70. The truck accelerated slowly, Herbert easily keeping pace. There was a corner ahead, a very slight left-hander. If there was an open stretch after it, Herbert could take him.

There was. Herbert went for it. But as he clutched in and shifted down left down, a roar of sound met his ears and it wasn’t from his car.

He clutched out and throttled in. The Aston leapt forward, heading for the right hand lane. It was pointless. The huge 4x4 had shrugged off its weight and exploded, aiming for the top of the hill. The Aston began to reel it in, but there was no chance he’d catch him before the end of the straight. So he’d go for the next one.

For all its stability in the slower corners, the 4x4 was still heavy. It rolled through the corners, reaching angles that caused laughter to bubble through Herbert. For all its comical stance, Herbert couldn’t catch it in the corners. The road was damper here than by the shore and his tires slipped often, stealing speed. However, when he was ready for the straights – when he’d selected the right gear for the corner and was focusing on his driving – he could just catch the truck. The sound it made was incredible. It roared through the rev range, a loud hiss building behind it. When the gears changed, it was like something exploded. The change was easy to see – the whole car rocked back and forth.

None of this stopped Herbert from trying to catch it. He threw the Aston harder into the corners, the rear brushing the vegetation that encroached upon the tarmac. Still, he found it pulling away from him. The straights would beckon and he’d almost catch it. He knew now there was no chance he’d overtake it. He also knew that if he was in front, it would easily catch him – he’d never push this hard.