The Tow

Yafeu secured the final crate of medical supplies before he pulled the floor hatch closed. Then he pushed the second stack of innocent boxes over the hidden compartment securing it for the time being. The modifications to their recently acquired military ship, proved successful. Even if it were repossessed, it may take months for officials to discover its hidden compartments.

The Captain had been clever in targeting the colony ship. The ships community, used the least amount of supplies while in route. Perhaps because what they carried was meant to support an entirely new settlement. The Pirates now possessed months of supplies including food and material for planting a wide range of crops. Easy contraband to sell through any planet's black market.

Yafeu hadn't seen the genius of this plan in the beginning but the logic was sound. Now he was satisfied he hadn't openly shared his objections to the heist. He was already struggling to remain in the Captains favor over the last time he had opened his mouth without forethought.

Tin rattled as Bale's large fingers shuffled through another crate. Bale was two inches taller than Yafeu and 40 pounds heavier. He maintained his thick frame by recreationally lifting the assortment of cargo in the hold. In a vest without sleeves, and suspenders that pointlessly attached to his trousers, Bale was often dressed in thinner clothing then recommended for space travel.

The brute wrapped his thick hand around the large knife he kept at his side. With one sharp movement he shoved the tip through a stray can, then glanced to see Yafeu's reaction. With there rough inventory one missing can of produce wouldn't be missed.

With small smirk Yafeu pretended not to notice.

Pleased by this Bale slurped the sweet orange liquid from the can. Then as he passed he shoved a second can into Yafeu's hands.

"Good stuff." He grunted.

Yafeu's shoulders briefly shook with laughter. He tucked the can into the pocket of his tattered black coat and pressed link to the overhead comm on the wall console.

"Merchandise secure. Ready for tow." He released the link and instantly German's voice echoed back in a playful soprano.

"Brace for tow."

Using Both hands Yafeu braced against the stairs and the control stand ready to feel the ship shutter under the added mass of the colony ship. The engine hummed a bit louder but nothing happened.

"Just kidding! We're in space." German laughed "As you were."

Bale openly laughed, "Stupid midget." Yafeu chose to ignore the snide remark. Opening additional dialogue with Bale wouldn't change anything.

With all the cargo secured Yafeu returned to the cockpit. German was standing at the main console, the controls laid out in front of her. Her hands swiftly moved over them, her angled black eyes not lifting to see his approach. The narrow room was fashioned to hold strictly a pilot and a co-pilot. The main console chair had been removed and replaced with a special platform specifically for German's 4'8" frame. It was also adapted specifically for her shorter arms which made it impossible for anyone of normal dimensions to take control of the seat. These modifications had been very specific, but German was an exceptional pilot.

The co-pilot seat remained untouched, and vacant.

"How's she moving?" Yafeu asked.

"Slow going to preserve fuel. Turning a three day trip into five!" A light flashed on the console, German cursed and hit the alert before the alarm could sound. "Vent obstruction, that little runner of yours needs to stay out of the main shafts."

"DeaMan is usually good about that. I'll remind him," Yafeu said. He pulled the can of preserves from his pocket and held it in front of her face as a peace offering.

Without hesitation she snatched it out of the air but continued to murmur. "You know, we didn't have to chase them so hard," referring to the colony ship. "They were going to burn out and we could have saved a quarter of our fuel supply." She set final commands with one hand then pulled her own knife from her side to puncture the can.

Yafeu twisted the second chair and sat. "But the chase is the trademark of The DeTarin." Yafeu mocked doing his best impression of Captain Zeretti's alto pitch. Though he didn't have the theatrical skills to imitate anyone successfully, German still smirked.

He scanned the co-pilot console. The levels appeared steady, though their pace was slow. The DeTarin would hold strong for the extended journey. The view out the front displayed scattered starlight. Yafeu caught sight of a shuttle floating aimlessly among them. His heart gave a few extra beats as he considered the number of passengers it held. They were better off.

Captain Zeretti's no prisoner rule had only one solution. Yafeu had succeeded once in convincing her otherwise. However her trust in him took a big hit that day.

His mind wandered to the young woman locked below. It had been two days since they pursued this heist. No one was able to sneak away to provide her with food or water. Yafeu concluded she'd be delirious by now. Which was confirmed by the fact her voice was no longer invading his thoughts.

It was unnerving how that woman was able to hear his thoughts, and sometimes insert her own into his. Having grown up on a transport ship himself, Yafeu was ignorant in the existence of magic. However when he decided on his current occupation, stories and rumors reached him so that he wouldn't be caught unprepared by the others in the black that possessed these special skills. In all his time however he'd only encountered perhaps a handful of them. But this one, she was the only one whose ability he couldn't deflect.

The older man she had been with, the one that had pleaded for her life, insisted her ability was rare even among their kind. And they would surely be able to use it to their advantage if she were kept alive. Captain Zeretti wasn't convinced but luckily the crew backed Yafeu. So the captain agreed as long as she wasn't reminded of the girls existence.

"Send DeaMan down to check on her." German said wiping the last of the orange liquid from her lips. She didn't have the ability to read minds like the prisoner but still, she knew where his mind wandered. "Zeretti will be asleep after inventory is complete."

"Thanks, German." Yafeu rose from the seat.

"Just get that guy out of my ventilation, please." She waved him off and he left the cockpit.