Desperate Measures

DeTarin was scrawled crudely in greens and black across the gray hull of the old ship. The lack of uniformity created a lump in Hanks throat. He snapped a picture and coded the archives to search for the slogan. It took seconds for file to appear.

No picture

Captain: Zeretti.

Sex: Female.

Classification: Pirate.

Status: Evaded Capture Lorraine sector

With no defensive mounts and limited fuel, the last encounter you want to have in the hollow black of space, are with pirates. In addition, a Grappling ship was created for one thing. It was Tug. A tow ship designed to drag ships twice its size. Mounted with four metal piercing projectile hooks it could tear into military grade metal hulls like paper and pull them into planet atmosphere for salvage.

"Get Seagull in engine room now," Hank ordered, Brighton picked up the comm and relayed the message.

Buckley on the other hand babbled uselessly over Hank's shoulder. "Captain Zeretti, a female pirate. We can outrun that old scrap. Right?"

"Don't underestimate a female pirate, Sir." Brighton warned.

"As for the ship, we could outrun it except this one's been modified." Hank answered eyes locked on the panel in front of him. It's steadily increasing speed didn't match the ships specs.

Sweat coated Hank's hands as he wrapped them around the Yoke and Throttle. He cranked it to the left then waited, praying the change of course might not affect pirate ship.

No such luck.

Within two clicks, Zeretti also pulled to the left. Hank's heart dipped into his stomach.

Panic taking him over Buckley gripped the safety handles on the ceiling. "We're days away from Zayan, and still weeks from our location, Hank." He said.

"Trying to out maneuver them will prematurely burn our fuel supply." Brighton pointed out.

All very important points but they weren't getting one vital thing. Hank would have to spell it out.

"Choice one, we stop and ask them what they want. They'll either board us here in space or drag us somewhere board us on planet. Choice two, we do everything we can keep out of reach." Hank snapped the levers on the console redirection the power from the less vital parts of the ship. "My family is on this boat. I'm going with choice two."

"They can't possibly board us out in space -" Buckley stopped mid sentence as he finally realized the damage those hooks would create. "We're not military or government, why would they want us?"

"They want the ship," Captain Levite said. He stepped into the cockpit for the first time in days. He wasn't your usual captain. Officially he was the governor of their new colony. Very political not at all ship savey. "Our supplies are valuable enough, they won't negotiate."

"Everything on this ship except us." Brighton said. She braced herself against the left wall. "Hank, what do we need to do?"

He flipped the Comm toggle on the right console to the engine room. "Seagull. Get ready to burn it hot."

"Whoa," Buckley grabbed Hank's shoulder. "We have a limited fuel supply if we run -"

"They also have limited fuel supply. We're trying to stay out of reach for as long as possible and discourage a the pursuit. Hopefully we're not worth risk." Hank explained.

"... If they don't?" Buckley asked.

"Captain. Get as many families into the escape shuttles as possible. If they get the ship they don't have to get your people."

"I'll order the evacuation." Levite agreed.

"Sir," Buckley objected again, this time to the Captain. "We have short range shuttles. The distance is to great. We'll die out there."

"If we stay here we'll die for certain," Brighton shouted allowing Hank to focus on piloting. "Those hooks will pierce the hull, they're not going to be careful about where."

Hank interrupted. "Levite, give the evacuation order. Seagull, be ready."

"I'm ready Hank." The small voice came back over the comm.

"We can fight." Buckley petitioned again. Levite was already on the overall Comm. His political baring ordering all to leave their belongings, take what food they could, and board the shuttles without hesitation.

"You're welcome to face off with them. I will happily return to pick up your dead body." Brighton said.

They were closing in the distance. Hank calculated approximately when their pursuers would be within reach.

Levite took Buckley by the arm and ordered him to help with the evacuation.

"Full burn in less than a minute." Hank stated, supposing they felt his urgency. The modifications to the ship had been effective. It would rival any current model in a short distance relay. Which meant their cargo ship didn't stand a chance. At full burn they would probably get five extra minutes before those fierce hooks were within reach.

"Do you really think this will work?" Brighton asked as soon as she and Hank were alone. "Not that I'm doubting you, but their speed is -"

"Yes, I know. Five minutes. I'll hold course as long as I can so the shuttles will have a straight path. Help me shut off anything that's draining power. Seagull, I'm stopping additional minor functions, see if you can route the extra power to your engine."

"Got it!" Seagull responded.

Brighton quickly flipped toggles and pressed buttons to as many minor function in her reach.

An alarm blared from the sensor panel. They were in range and sending pressure to fire the first grappling.

Times up.

"Brighton, get your family. Launch the shuttles the moment the ship stalls." Quickly Brighton ran from the room. "Seagull -"

"Ready!" Seagull shouted back.

Hank pressed his feet to the floor and tightened his grip, ready for the thrust. "Punch it!"

The instant burn threw the ship forward and all its passengers back. The seat moaned against the pressure, and Hank strained to keep his eyes focused on the controls. The pirates launched their hook. The claw reached out and caught empty space. It was an insult that was undoubtedly taken as challenge, as they too accelerated.

* * THANK YOU FOR READING * *

* * Please VOTE and COMMENT * *