Twenty

Where is everyone from?

"No sign of Vanya." Five said.

"She's not in any of the rooms," Diego said.

"She's not downstairs either."

"Or outside. She doesn't look to be coming." Emery added with a sigh.

"Well, I'm out." Diego said.

"Wait. Wait... Where are you going?" Emery and Five said at the same time.

"Vanya's still out there, and so are Hazel and Cha-Cha." Five added.

"I know. I'm gonna get my things and then I'm outta here. I have some unfinished business with those fools." Diego said, moving into the shadows and dispersing from view.

Klaus exhaled as they were left alone.

"Hey, did Dad say anything about the apocalypse when you spoke to him? Any clues as to how it happened?" Five asked.

"No. No clues. Truly terrific shave. But no clues."

Five just sighed and started down the steps. Klaus followed behind in a flurry with Emery trailing behind.

"You know, come to think of it, he did mention something about my potential, and how I've barely even scratched the surface of my—"

"How did he know about the apocalypse?" Five interrupted.

"I don't know, but listen. This whole jumping through time thing of yours, how did you... how did you know how to do that?" Klaus asked, jumping in front of Five when they got to the bottom of the steps.

"I didn't." Five bit back. "You'd realize that if you were actually sober." He said, brushing last Klaus.

"Hey, I am sober. I've been sober for two— almost two days now."

"Yeah, two days."

"It feels like 45 years."

Five paused. "Who are you kidding, Klaus? I've seen you fidgeting all day."

"Well, I guess we're both fighting our addictions, then," Klaus said.

"I'm not an addict." Five dismissed the idea. But Emery saw the way his fists clenched in the pockets of his shorts.

"Yeah, you are." Klaus insisted. "You're addicted to a drug called the apocalypse."

"You're wrong."

"First sign. Denial." Klaus said calmly.

Emery was surprised at the diagnoses, even more so when he found himself agreeing.

Five was not having it, so it seemed for he teleported in a flash and reappeared behind Klaus, pointing a menacing finger at the man. "You and I. We're not the same."

"I've seen that look. It's the look of someone who doesn't know who they are without their high anymore. Trust me. You gotta just let it go." Klaus said calmly, turning around and lifting a hand to place on Five's shoulder.

Emery held his breath as Five moved so quickly that he barely caught him extending his arm out and letting the prosthetic eyeball slam and shatter against the wall.

"Figuratively, but yeah, that works, too." Klaus sighed as Five stormed away. He turned, as if ready to go and jumped when he saw Emery still there. "Oh, Emery." He said, rubbing a hand over his face.

"Emery." Emery mimicked. "You said my name. My actual name. What's wrong, Klaus."

"I'm just... tired. Being sober is taking a toll on me."