Five

What's the best way to kill someone without leaving behind evidence? Genuinely curious.

"It's locked." Five threw his hands down after wrestling with the door handle of the institute that wouldn't budge. Emery scoffed.

"No shit Sherlock. What did you expect? It's like 2 in the morning. They won't be open."

"Then why did you follow?" Five huffed as he sat down dejectedly on the steps, looking both menacing and childlike in the act.

"I was never planning on leaving Vanya's," Emery said, sitting down next to Five. "I thought we would go in the morning but then you moved to get up and I followed for entertainment. Did you really think some prosthetic manufacturing company was open twenty-four-seven?" A smirk found its way into his lips.

Five looked away. "Shut up."

"Look," Emery said. "We'll come back in the morning. Head back to the academy or Vanya's and regroup there. Vanya was right, you look like a walking corpse."

Five scoffed. "I don't need you to tell me what I look like or that I need to sleep."

"You're right." Emery said. "But I shouldn't have to. I swear to god, you may have the mind of an old man but you complain like a child who didn't get the candy they wanted. Seriously, this could all be avoided if w-"

Emery was interrupted then by a flash of blue and then the boy that was previously sitting beside him was gone in an instant. Emery closed his eyes and exhaled, suddenly pitying the Hargreeves children for having to put up with Five.

He stood and- realizing the boy wasn't coming back, started walking without any thought on where he was going.

The night was calm and a little stroll to himself was actually quite pleasant the moment he finally stopped feeling the urge to track down the boy with a number for a name and punch him senseless.

Emery detoured around the donut shop he and Five had lain waste to and opted to take a different route down a street that wasn't as lively. A motel took up most of it and whatever space was left was taken by ragged houses and an old plastic park that someone must have put up to entertain the kids on the block. Emery could hardly guess how such two streets were next to each other but could look so different.

He stilled, steps coming to a slow as he debated with himself on whether or not to go into the motel and see if he could get away with sleeping a night unpaid. He could also go back to the Academy or even see if Vanya was willing but he didn't want to wake her up if she had indeed fallen asleep and he felt he wasn't the most welcome at the academy right now. Shrugging his shoulders, Emery buried his hands in his trouser pockets and started trekking towards the establishment, taking the long route around so he could survey the perimeter and see if there were any loose windows or back doors left unlocked that he could enter from.

Upon seeing none and having no such luck, Emery grumbled and made his way to the front where he swung open the main door and approached the head desk.

"How many?" A bored voice greeted him. The man belonging to that voice looked half asleep.

Emery didn't know if he was asking for nights or people. "One. He said, guessing his answer would mean the same either way.

"Do you have a parent or a guardian over the age of eighteen with you?" The man asked, his voice monotone like clockwork.

"No, but- I'm nearly eighteen." He said though he was using the term "years" lightly. "Can I get a room for a couple of hours at least? One near the boiler or some room no one ever uses?"

"You got an ID?" The man sighed.

Emery patted down his pockets though his mind already knew as much. "No." He said.