ii.

chapter two

"Well I mean I'm pretty sure my mom dropped me a couple times when I was a baby."

***

Word of the bathroom incident spread immediately. Wherever Percy went, campers pointed at him and murmured something about toilet water.

Y/n showed Percy a few more places. She started to make them go faster, her impatience growing. She wanted to train, to master her archery skills, her sword fighting abilities, anything she could. She was one of the best archers the camp had seen obviously because of her dad but she wanted to prove herself. That she could be even better. That she could be the best hero this world had even seen. She just wanted to be seen. Recognized for her talent, receive validation.

She showed Percy the metal shop (where kids were forging their own swords), the arts- and-crafts room (where satyrs were sandblasting a giant marble statue of a goat-man), and the climbing wall, which actually consisted of two facing walls that shook violently, dropped boulders, sprayed lava, and clashed together if you didn't get to the top fast enough.

Finally they returned to the canoeing lake, where the trail led back to the cabins.

"I have to go train." She told him flatly. "Follow the rest of your cabin for dinner at 7:30."

"Y/n, I just wanted to say I'm sorry about the toilet water."

"It's fine."

"It wasn't my fault."

She looked at him with her eyes narrowed, her lips into a thin line and tilted her head placing one hand on her hip.

"Okay...maybe it was my fault. But I didn't really control it! I just..." he trailed off.

"You just...?"

"I became one with the plumbing! I— I don't know?!"

"It doesn't matter now. But it sure gives me some ideas on who your godly parent just might be." She said eying him up and down.

"I'm sorry, okay?!"

"It's fine." She rolled her eyes, "but I think that you should visit my good old friend. The oracle."

"Who?"

"Not who. What. The Oracle. I'll ask Chiron about it."

He stared into the lake just wishing he could have some actual answers.

Naiads were sitting crossed legged at the end of the pier and Percy blinked back once he realized they were there. They smiled and waved at him so he did the same. But his wrist was caught and lowered. He turned to look at Y/n. Her expression, the same as always: irritated.

"Don't encourage them." She warned. "Naiads are terrible flirts."

"Naiads," He repeated, "That's it. I want to go home now."

Y/n looked at him sadly. "Here is going to have to be your home. It's where kids like us are safe."

"You mean, mentally disturbed kids." He frowned and shook his head which got smacked again.