Chapter 13

"I can't believe you brought everyone to help me shop for a ring," Michael scolded Holly.

"Lisa deserves only the best and you should be glad because we're all women and we know what she would appreciate," she said, looking at the bright faces of Cassie, Mermaid, Alanna and Maddy.

"I bet you would have brought mom and Adele too had they been available," he berated.

"Come to think of it, she should have. Let me see what they're up to," Cassie teased as she retrieved her cellphone.

"Hey, put that down."

She put the phone away as he drove his car into parking outside one of the best jewelry stores in Reedsdale.

Mermaid picked up Maddy in her arms while he picked Alanna and they all followed Holly into the store. While they walked over to the receptionist, Cassie and Mermaid admired the diamond necklaces in the vaulted glass display.

"Come take a look at this," Holly called over to them.

"Women and diamonds," Michael remarked.

"You know you're enjoying this as much as we are," Cassie said.

He had a faint smile that betrayed him.

"Can I have one?" Alanna asked the older women.

Cassie nodded, saying, "When you're old enough, a boy you love and who loves you back will get you one."

"What about me?" Maddy asked.

"You too, honey."

"Uncle Michael, you love me, right?" Alanna asked.

He kissed her cheek since she was still in his arms. "Very much," he said and she laughed as his day old beard tickled her soft cheek.

"You can get me one," she said.

"Well, let's see. Will you marry me?" he asked.

Maddy quickly intervened, saying, "I'll marry you."

They all started laughing and Cassie corrected her earlier statement and said, "By a boy, I meant someone your own age."

The two little girls made grim faces.

Michael gently put Alanna down and proceeded to look at a ring he seemed to like.

"I can barely see the diamond on that ring," Mermaid said.

"But it's nice and simple," he argued.

"Nice and simple doesn't cut it. Even Alanna and Maddy would be offended," Cassie said.

"Women want an elegant engagement ring with a huge diamond," Holly said as a sales lady brought them a special selection with beautiful rings ranging from ten thousand dollars.

"Now we're talking," Cassie said.

"This is going to cost me a fortune."

"It'll make Lisa say yes," Holly said.

Once they went through the rings, they chose a beautiful twelve carat diamond and afterwards, Michael dropped Holly, Mermaid and the kids at the beach and took Cassie home with him to get Holly's jeep.

"Do you still get those drowning dreams?" Holly asked Mermaid as they walked along the beach. It was a warm and lovely afternoon and there were families at the beach enjoying the serenity of the sea.

"Since I started sharing your bed, I've been so blissfully happy I've forgotten I needed to remember," Mermaid said.

Holly was happy to know she reciprocated the joy Mermaid offered her.