Chapter 33. Turn Back the Hands of Time

Tara

I was able to find a cheap motel to stay for the night, the only problem was the location. It was practically crawling with society's rejects, and I felt a bit unsafe being there. I didn't know anyone in Oakland, citizen or enforcement to help me out during this time, and I certainly couldn't make any phone calls. So, for now, I decided to deal with it and lay low for the night. It was hard sleeping because of all the racket going on outside, and at one point during the night I could've sworn that I heard gunshots. It kept Thomas up all night which led to my neighbor banging on my door and yelling "shut that baby up!"

I wasn't about to go outside and confront him, so I did my best to keep Thomas quiet while my gun was near my bedside. There were times during the night that I contemplated just giving up and running back to safety, but Thomas deserved more than that and Able did too. Well, as soon as his father realized what he deserved I would have a safe haven for him to come to so that he could get away from such a life of guns and violence.

It pained me so much to have left him behind that I hardly got any sleep last night. This didn't help with the fact that I had to immediately get on the road so that I could drive up to Oregon. It was going to be a long drive and I should have saved any energy I could manage last night, but that was a regret I could save for a later date.

I turned in my key and grabbed my things before housekeeping was up. The lot was quiet and there were only a few people outside. Most were out for a morning smoke while others were escorting their midnight fling out of their rooms. If I had really wanted to get any sleep I should have booked a room for the morning, it was much quieter anyway.

I loaded Thomas in the SUV and hurriedly got into the driver's seat. I was desperate to get out of Oakland, so much that I hadn't realized that I was practically running on no gas. I must have gotten robbed last night because I made sure to fill up before I got to the motel. I grumbled to myself and prayed quietly that whatever little was left would be able to transport me to the nearest gas station. But as expected, the SUV made a sickly sound and wouldn't start. I wanted to cry at my circumstances but I had to pull myself together for my son. So, I took Thomas's stroller out of the trunk and placed him inside, so that I could walk in the direction of the nearest gas station.

Nearest for Oakland, to my horror, was thirty minutes on foot. I contemplated asking someone for help but decided against it rather quickly. I grabbed what I could from my vehicle and placed it inside Thomas's stroller. I hoped that when I returned from this journey my car would be fully intact.

The walk wasn't too bad but I was only a couple of minutes in. I tried to pace myself or sing a song to make the time go by faster, but I was getting more and more agitated as the sun came out. I found myself peeling off my jacket and wrapping it around my waist. it was getting hot and I was ill-prepared for long walks in my heeled boots.

Then suddenly a minivan rolled up next to me. A woman was driving the car and she eyed me up and down as I continued to walk. "Miss do you need a lift?" her voice was deep and had a southern twang. I inspected her and her van for a moment before deciding to get in. The two children staring curiously in the backseat was what drew me in and gave me a sense of safety.

"My name is Silvia, those are my kids Gladice and Samuel back there," she gestured to the kids who welcomed me nervously. The girl became fascinated with Thomas and stared at him with adoration. For the first time during this journey, I felt a tinge of calm. I felt helped and seen and I was thankful for Silvia's chatterbox mouth that occupied my mind off my own circumstances. She even offered to drive me back to my SUV when I was done filling up my gas cans.

I was extremely grateful for her hospitality as I went inside with Thomas to grab the cans. I managed to grab a few more things for the road and went to pay the clerk at the desk. I glanced over at Silvia's car as I waited in line for my turn to pay, but then out of nowhere, a black SUV screeched. It parked in front of Silvia's car and then two men jumped out with their guns drawn.

Everyone inside began to watch in horror as the men pulled up next to Silvia's window. I watched with a horrified expression as they yelled and screamed at her while she shook in fear. No doubt that Gladice and Samuel were screaming as well. Then it happened, Silvia's index finger drew out and pointed towards the gas station. The men were dressed in nice clothing and something in my brain told me that they were looking for me.

Was this the Pope that everyone warned about? Did these men work for him? I had no time to ask as I dropped everything I was holding to run to the nearest hiding place. I ran into the restroom and locked the door behind me. I could hear the men questioning everyone in sight and threatening anyone they deemed to be lying.

"Tell me where she is or someone in here dies!" I shook in fear as the man shouted at the few people inside the gas station. The people were dead silent until one of the men fired a shot. I heard screaming coming from the clerk as someone's body hit the ground. I was probably a ghost white from how the blood had drained from my body. I looked over at Thomas in horror as I looked for somewhere to hide him. I finally settled on placing him in the cabinet under the sink. I closed the doors quietly and prayed to God that he wouldn't begin to cry.

I could hear footsteps outside as someone walked in front of the bathroom door. I swallowed the lump in my throat as I backed myself into a corner. My heart was beating so loud that I could hardly hear anything. At that moment, so much regret filled my body. The realization that I may die had me rethinking my method of action. Was this my karma for killing Gemma? Was this the way my life would end? 

I was completely beside myself and wished for more than anything that Jax would come to rescue me. He probably hated me right now, but I wish more than anything to go back in time and redo everything.

When the man kicked open the door I couldn't help the shriek that left my mouth. He stood there and looked at me with a smirk on his face as he called his partner over. "You Teller's old lady?" he questioned.

I shook my head vigorously which caused them to laugh. He walked closer to me while trailing the gun over my face. "Well, Pope wants to send a little gift to the Sons. You can deliver that right?"

His voice was taunting and I slowly nodded my head. He turned his back to me and said to his partner, "take her." The big, burly man walked into the bathroom and dragged me out kicking and screaming. All I could do was keep my eyes on the cabinet under the sink. Not knowing if I'd ever see my son again.