37 | Devotion

HUMILITY

Clothe yourself with humility towards one another because God resists proud but gives grace to the humble.
1 Peter 5:5

According to social media, 80% of people talk about themselves- the 'me-myself-I mentality'. It's alarming especially to this generation that a lot of us are getting engaged to a self-centered mindset. James 4:10 says, 'Humble yourselves before the LORD and He will exalt you.'

"Just because God has called you to a humble life doesn't mean He's called you to a small life,"- Rachel Cruze.

1. God opposes the proud.
Let us have a heart-check to these signs and actions that we are getting proud:
✓ fault-finding- searching for someone's flaws and imperfections not knowing that we are also sinners
✓ always wanting to be the center of attention- you kept on pushing yourself to be seen and praised
✓ deaf on messages about humility- thinking you're humble enough, you are too familiar on hearing simple things
✓ hates being surpassed- always wanted to be on top of everyone
✓ refuses to be teachable- becoming disobedient, there's always a problem when it comes to submission

And a lot more. God isn't into the things we achieve, rather, He is looking in our hearts when we do things.

2. God shows favor to the humble.
Blessing comes only from the blesser. We have no right to boast any thing we achieve or receive with the thought that it is because of our own strength alone.

Humility touches God's heart. Just as when the rain pours down on the mountain, it does come and stay to the lower lands.

Why humility?

Because JESUS demonstrated humility. (1John 3:16) Jesus Christ laid down His life for us. If you really want to live a life of humility, you must surrender yourself to the LORD and know that everything you have is all by grace.

Bonus: Humility produces satisfaction in our lives!