○ Chapter 23 ○

A week later, the Mitchell family, the team, some of the commanders from the base, some people from the base in Iceland, Harrison and his family, Bethany and her family, and some others were all gathered in the church. People were going up to the coffin and giving the grieving husband and daughter their condolences.

It felt wrong to Autumn. These people didn't know her mother like she and her father did or know her how the team or Grandpa Comet did. Everyone was lying to them. They didn't know her mother, they didn't know how it felt losing her mother after not being able to see her for a month.

After giving their condolences to the grieving family, the congregation all sat down on the pews. Once everyone was seated, the vicar began. "We are gathered here to say farewell to Sandra Mitchell and to commit her into the hands of God," spoke the priest, voice echoing in the near silent chapel. "In the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Those of us who have known soldiers or been soldiers ourselves can understand how they can be such holy men. They are dedicated to serving others. They are willing to set aside their own plans for the future to protect the freedoms of their country. They have a strong sense of duty toward the weak and vulnerable. They come face-to-face with all types of horrors and yet continue to believe that the world is good. But most importantly, like Jesus, they are willing to lay down their lives for their sisters and brothers." As he paused, a single sob could be heard from Autumn as she turned to her father, hiding her face in his shoulder. Pete wrapped his arms around the girl, rubbing her back as he, too, shed some tears. "Lord our God, you are the source of life. In you we live ad move and have our being. Keep us in life and death in your love, and, by your grace, lead us to your kingdom. Through your Son, Jesus Christ, our Lord."

"Amen," the congregation said. Some of the team members allowed a few tears to fall as the coffin was risen and taken to the cemetery, the congregation following with Pete and Autumn at the front, Pete's team behind the trio, Harrison and his family and Bethany and her family behind them and the rest of the congregation following behind.

Once they made it to the sight of burial, the priest turned to them once more. "Receive the Lord's blessing. The Lord bless you and watch over you. The Lord make his face shine upon you, and be gracious to you. The Lord look kindly on you and give you peace; In the Name of the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit."

"Amen," the congregation uttered, a sense of solemness overtaking everyone. Pete moved forward on shaky legs, placing the wings of the pilot on top of the grave before slamming it down, head rising to salute the picture of his late wife as guns fired and jets flew over, one of them rising up instead of going forward with the others, signifying that Sandra was on her way to get her own wings. Stepping back, it was Autumn's turn to step forward as the coffin was lowered, letting a white lily fall onto the coffin. Pete did the same, as did his team.

Once everyone had said their farewells, the priest began to say the final prayer as he stood next to the freshly covered grave. "Give her, o Lord, your peace and let your eternal light shine upon her."

"Amen," uttered the congregation for the final time.

"Let us go in the peace of the Lord," the priest headed towards the church, the congregation following except for Autumn and her father.

"Do you think she was in pain?" Autumn asked after a while of silence. Pete turned to look at his daughter, contemplating his answer.

"I think she may have been," Pete answered softly, arm wrapped around his daughter. "But I think she's in a better place now, sweetpea. She's got her wings, and someday we'll get ours." Autumn nodded, leaning into her father as they stood before the grave of their mother. "It's just you and me now, kid. Just you and me."

The team were watching from a distance, watching as their captain and niece grieved their wife and mother. Watching the two grieve made their hearts ache as they remembered watching Pete and Lauren stand in a similar place at Bradley's funeral. That was when Lauren had handed Autumn over to the brunette, deeming herself as unfit to be classed as the girl's mother.

"I miss her, Pa," Autumn murmured as the two began to walk away from the grave. "I didn't realise I would miss Ma this much." Pete nodded in agreement, walking towards the team. Mickey immediately wrapped his arms around the eleven-year-old, kissing the top of her head as she just melted into his embrace, trying hard not to cry. "Is it normal to miss someone so much?"

"Of course it is, Dove," Mickey murmured, rubbing her back gently. "It's gonna hurt for a while, but eventually it'll become easier. I promise." Pete smiled as he watched the team had fun with his daughter, cheering her up from her vulnerable state that she was in after the funeral. She's in good hands, he nodded to himself as he began to follow them, she's in very good hands.

Natasha turned around, looking at his captain with a gentle smile. "She's gonna be alright," she promised with a smile. Pete smiled back, nodding in agreement as they all began the walk back to the base.