The Palisman

I sit on the bench in the dog park, practically sweating from nervousness.

"What if her gets hurt? What if the other dogs are mean to him?" I desprately ask Eda, "My parental instincts are freaking out man."

"He's fine," Eda assures, "Look at him."

I look over at King who is currently trying to climb up a small slide.

"It does look like he's having fun. Who knows what his little puppy brain is thinking of?"

As I watch him I see him finally get to the top of the slide. He sits, very proud of himself and yips, making two dogs who were watching him roll over and yip back. Then a small dog comes up from behind him and nudges him forward and down the slide making him tumble down. King scampers over and whines in front of us, looking very pitiful.

"Awe, are you upset that puppy shoved you?" Eda asks King jokingly.

King looks up at Eda's staff that Owlbert was currently purched on and yips.

"Buddy, I'm not having Owlbert steal a puppy. He has better things to do, like this."

Eda scoops up Owlbert and gives him some scritches on his head making him start warbling.

"Awe he's such a sweetie. How did you get him?"

"There was a forest fire from a camping accident and when I went around the area looking for abandoned and intact supplies, I found his egg unhatched and abandoned. So, I took him in and raised him. I could ask the same about your little bluejay buddy."

"Who, my Palisman?" I ask, summoning my staff and unscrewing them, "I didn't get her. I carved her from the branch of a Palistrom tree. Nyx and I are bonded for life."

She hops onto my shoulder and nuzzles my cheek.

"Yeah. Suffice it to say, I'd annihilate anyone who'd try and take her from me."

King starts to growl softly, obviously not pleased with the lack of attention he's getting. The puppy from earlier walks over and shoves them over again before running away, barking happily.

"Oh, man. Here we go. King's sqeak of rage." Eda giddily says.

King pulls himself up and starts yipping at such a high pitch it's like a squeal. He runs off and begins chasing the puppy.

"Hey, what's that?" Eda asks, pointing to Nyx's foot as she scratches her face.

"Oh! That's her interlock. She only fits on my staff. Every palisman has one. It'd actually make it easy for my to find a palisman here that somehow got here, even if they looked like a human realm animal. Though, it's unlikely that there'd be a palisman here." I explain.

I help Nyx scratch a hard to reach spot and she happily chirps. When I glance back over at Eda, she's completely passed out on the bench.

"Eda? Eda! Wake up!"

Her eyes spring open and she looks very disturbed.

"Are you okay?" I ask, helping her up.

"What? Oh, no." Eda shudders, "The curse. We have to get home. Now."

Eda grabs her staff and begins to walk away as Owlbert moves from her shoulder to her hair.

"King! Time to go buddy!" I call, grabbing King's leash.

He happily runs over and I clip the leash onto the collar. I let King into the back seat then hop in the passenger seat. The second I click in my seatbelt, Eda drives us home, hardly staying below the speed limit.