TopGun

An: not spell checked!
Two and a half years before TOPGUN: Maverick:

I tug on my jacket, sliding out of the car. I'm running a bit late, but it's okay.

No one really notices a missing Mechanic.

I pull open the door, a grin on my face when I see my favorite person in the hallway, his back to me. I sneak up behind him, grinning to myself.

"Hi, Bob!" I exclaim, wrapping my arms around his waist and hugging his back. His hands rest on mine, and I can hear his smile in his voice.

"Hello, Kale." He says. "You are in a good mood today."

  "I'm always in a good mood." I say, dancing away from him and smiling. He shrugs.

  "I'm happy for you, then." He says.

  I glance at the clock.
  "I have to go!" I say quickly, trotting towards the hangar.

  "Bye, Bob!" I exclaim.

  "Bye, Kaleigh!"

***
I watch the a pair jets take of, the rumble of their engines traveling across the tarmac.

Striker and Bob pull into the hangar, their F-18 still giving off heat. Striker pulls the jet to a stop, popping open the canopy.

"How'd the flight go, boys?" I ask, attaching the plane to the fuel pump while Gustav pulls up a ladder.

"Good." Striker says gruffly, clambering out of the plane. "Our dumbass wingman left us, so Bob and I had to fend for our own."

"We did good though, Strike." Bob says, tossing his helmet down to me, which I catch. "I wouldn't be surprised if that gets us into TopGun."

"We better." Striker says. "We train too hard not too make it."

"You boys can do it." Gustav says, moving towards the second plane as it pulls into the hangar.

Bob stands next to me, and I hand him his helmet.

"I have to go." I say, smiling. "See you later?"

He smiles, opening his mouth to respond.

"Bob, Striker!" Our commander calls. "My office, now!"

Bob looks nervous, and I brush my hand to his as I walk by.

"Good luck, bud." I say.

I sigh, leaning back on my heels, staring at the jet sitting in front of me. What I wouldn't give to be able to fly it.

  "Hey, Kale, where were you last night?" Gustav asks, leaning on the plane's nose. I raise my eyebrows at him, and he shrugs.
  "Hey, I'm your friend, it's practically my job to worry."

  "I went out with Bob." I say, standing. His mouth drops open, and I roll my eyes. "Pick your jaw up off the floor, Gustav."

  "I'm so proud of him!" He says. "He seemed too... how do I put this nicely? Skittish, to ask you out." 

"Look at you jumping to conclusions," I say, grabbing my tool box and crossing the hangar. "We could have went out as friends."

  "With the way you two act around each other?" He asks, huffing. "Blushing and smiling, sneaking glances when you think no one is looking. It's pretty obvious."

I groan, placing a hand to my forehead.
  "Is it really?"

  "Yes." He says, crossing his arms across his chest. "I better be best man at the wedding."

"You are a special breed." I say, shaking my head as I wash my hands in the small sink on the wall, the oil making the water run black.

  "Yep! One of a kind!" He says proudly, puffing out his chest like some kind of bird.

  "You are silly." I say, sighing.

***

I hum a tune as I wait for Bob outside of the military base, my hands shoved deep into my pockets. The desert heat is becoming unbearable, but in the shade it's not too bad.

  I see the familiar form of Robert step out of the door, his eyes landing on me. He has a huge grin on his face as he jogs over to me, surprising me when he pulls me into a hug. I yelp in surprise.

"Woah," I say, laughing as I hug him back. "What happened?"

"Striker and I have become chosen." He says, grinning. "We're headed to TopGun!"

My face lights up.
"Holy shit! Good job, Robert!" I say, hugging him again. He laughs, adjusting his glasses.

  "I can't believe it." He says. "I have been dreaming of this for forever."

  "I'm proud of you." I say. "When are the two of you shipping out?"

  "This Monday." Bob says sheepishly, rubbing the back of his neck. I frown.

  "So soon?" I ask, trying to keep my excitement, which is slowly slipping through my fingers. He frowns.

"Hey, it's okay. We'll stay in contact, right?" He says, gripping my hand. I nod.

"Yeah. And maybe, when you are done, they will ship you back here!" I say. "Who doesn't want to be stationed in the Arizona heat?"

He grins at me, pulling me into another hug. I sigh, resting my chin on his shoulder. He is a really good hugger.

"I have to go call my Parents." He says, and I roll my eyes.

"Go talk to them, dork." I say. "I'll be in the barracks if you need me."

***

A shorter chapter today because your girl is not sure where to go with this.

Yeah. *exposed*

And meanwhile I really want to work on my Hangman FIC, but I'm not sure where to go with that either.

...I think I need to take a break.

Bye guys!

-❤️Kena