Hello

Three years before TOPGUN: Maverick.

"I can't help," I strum my guitar. "Falling in love.. with.. you." I pause, listening to the crickets chirping in the summer night. Heat is rising off the street, but a cool night breeze is blowing, playing with my hair.

  I sigh, leaning into the deck of the bunk house. Everyone else is in bed: we have to get up early tomorrow, but I couldn't sleep.

  "You're really good." A voice speaks up, and I jump. I'm surprised to see a boy sitting not far from me, his glasses flashing in the moonlight. He is sitting at the other end of the deck, wearing a tan uniform: A pilot.

  Shadows are cast across his face, but I can see a round face and nose.

  "Thanks." I say quietly, pulling my guitar to my chest. "How long have you been there?"

  "Oh," he says, scratching the back of his neck. "I've been here the whole time. I was sitting here before you came out..." he trails off. I look down, embarrassed.

"I'm just unobservant." I say, but he remains silent.

"What's your name?" I ask, looking at him. He seems embarrassed, too, and I realize we are both extremely uncomfortable with this whole thing.

"Bob." He says, looking down. I frown.

"Aren't you a pilot?" I ask, turning towards him. He looks up at me, and I am met with big brown eyes.

  "I'm actually a weapons systems officer." He says. I nod.

"Okay, but shouldn't you still have a callsign?" I ask, confused.

"That is my callsign. I mean, my callsign is 'Bob'." He speaks quickly, stumbling over his words, and I smile.

"I love that." I say. "Very original."

In the moonlight, I see his ears flush red, and I can't help but laugh.

  "Well, see you around, Bob." I say, grinning. I hold out my hand, the other one gripping my guitar. "I'm Kaleigh."

He shakes my hand hesitantly.

  "It was nice to meet you." He says politely. "I should be headed in as well."

***

  "Hey, I know you!" I exclaim as I fall into step next to Bob in the hallway.
  It's been a week since the night on the deck, and his surprised face makes me think he might have forgotten.
  In the bright light of the corridor, I study his reaction. He gives me an adorable smile, and I wipe my bangs away from my eyes.

  "Hello Kaleigh," he says, smiling. "Are you flying today?"

  I raise my hands, laughing at his question.
  "Oh, no, I'm not a pilot." I say. "Or a WSO." I add, smiling at him. He frowns.

  "So, you're a mechanic?" He says, gesturing to the badge on my shoulder. I grin.

  "Yep. You are smart!" I exclaim, making him blush.

  "Hey, Kale, will you move it?" My pal, Gustav, calls from the open door, leading out to the hangar. Bob raises his eyebrows at me.

  "Kale?" He asks.

  "Yeah," I say, looking at the floor, embarrassed. "It's a nickname."

  "I like it." He says, smiling. "Very original."