Chapter 13

After what feels like a speedy week, it's finally Friday. Ever since the night Greyson and I went to the graveyard, I haven't been woken up to the sound of him having a nightmare, which means that going to visit his dad helped. Well, at least I think it did. Although we haven't spoken about it since that night, everything seems to have returned to normal.

The end of the week has me in a lazy mood, so the moment I come home from work and shower, I go straight to my room and watch Naruto. Halfway through the first episode of the Kazekage Rescue Mission, I receive a text from a number that I recognize. Sounds like you've finally started Shippuden.

I curiously stare at the message before replying. Who is this?

Within seconds of hitting send, I receive a new message. Your neighbor. My neighbor, is it from Greyson? I swear he isn't even home yet. For the majority of the week, he's been coming home after midnight because of work. Plus, if he was home, I assume he would have made himself known when I came home. Right? Unless he was asleep, and the sound of my show had woken him up. Well, I'm not going to know unless I reply. I lift my phone from my side and type, Greyson?

The reply is quick again. I look at the response and involuntarily smile at the text. One point for you, Puddles. It is Greyson. But I wonder how he got my number. Probably from Simone. That's the most logical answer.

Is the sound too loud? I asked. Just in case I did end up waking him up.

Nah, it's good. I haven't watched Naruto for years, so it's nostalgic to hear it again. I pause to stare at his response and think of a reply to send back. Should I ask him if he wants to watch it with me? I can tell him to meet me in the living room. But I also don't want to bother him. Before I can type anything, he sends another text. Why don't you play it on the big screen? I don't mind re-watching it.

While I contemplate whether or not I should watch Naruto with him, the sound of a knock on the wall, that buffers mine and Greyson's room, interrupts me. "Meet me in the living room, Puddles. I'll get the snacks." Well, I guess that answers my contemplation.

With Greyson in the kitchen getting snacks, I make my way to my usual spot on the L-shaped couch, in the living room, to set up the episode on the television screen. Just as I pause the episode, Greyson drops an assortment of snacks on the coffee table, all of which look tempting to me right now. I expect Greyson to go to his usual spot, on the recliner, but to my surprise, he sits right next to me. Not only is he seated in a different spot today, but I've now become hyper-aware of his presence as he sits so close to me. So close, that our thighs are practically touching. His proximity fills my senses with his intoxicating scent, which I've grown to familiarize, and my body fills with uncomfortable nerves, that only seem to happen whenever I'm around Greyson. Fuck, I need to think about something else to get rid of these damn nerves.

My eyes darted to the snacks in front of me. Hmm, what should I have? Maybe some Cheetos. Or maybe I should start with something sweet, like Oreos. Or I could forget about all of that and pay more attention to the snack that's directly beside me...Greyson. He's so close that all I need to do is turn my head and lean in, and my lips can be on his. Plus, it's not like I'd be kissing unfamiliar territory or anything. I've already felt his soft yet hungry kiss, so technically... Woah what the hell, Serenity? What the hell am I doing? Why the hell did I just let my mind wander like that? I need to put some distance between me and Greyson, immediately. There's no guessing how else my mind will wander.

In a quick attempt to avert the subtle interaction of our thighs, I move forward to grab the first thing my hand can reach, which so happens to be pretzels. When I return to a comfortable position, I slightly move away from Greyson's body and crisscross my legs. At least this way, if Greyson does end up moving closer to me again, my knee, along with the rest of my leg will keep him a safe distance away.