All that is said, is done

The afternoon sky looked more fiery than ever, the trees danced with the rhythm of the wind, the peaceful waters of the Ganga more quiet, it was just another perfect afternoon.

As usual, the teacher awaited the arrival of his little student, on one of those forgetful river stairs. Silent, not thinking, just silent. 

And she came, with a rather clever gait, and sat down with the book in her hand. 

Both remained silent for a while.

Then, Charulata spoke up "Teacher, I was able to read the whole Gita to my mother. And my, was she happy! I am forever grateful"

"Good"

"Thus, there remains no reason for us to meet here everyday anymore"....said Charu, rather sad with what she said.

"Not until you have given me my Guru Dakshina"...

Guru Dakshina ? The divine fee to the teacher !! No lessons stay forever unless the student has paid respect to the teacher by offering Dakshina- anything that satisfies a teacher's need.

"But....I have no money. My father may be rich, but the women in my family live upon the money given by the men. I cannot ask my father for money. He would not like the idea of a girl learning to read and write. I had kept it a secret.....please...something else.....anything"

"Who said anything about money ? Does not the same Gita you read out to your mother yesterday teach us how less value material thing posses ? " Deb thundered

"Then?..."

"You must marry me."

Charulata was stunned. It was clear Deb had no feelings for her, his student. Nor was their any affection in his voice when he placed the proposal, looking away into the deep water. Then why? How will she be able to live with such a man ?

Tears flowed down the dark beautiful eyes, just like the waters of the river. She stood still like a rock.

"I will come to your house tomorrow with the marriage proposal. I will send the message to your parents immediately." saying, he started leaving, up the stairs.

This time Charu was the last to leave the staircases. She sat for long, her mind thoughtless thus.