13

Bella could feel her face heating up as she grabbed onto the doorknob and pulled the front door open. She didn't even care to knock - she was furious.

When she opened the door, Cole's mother was off to the side, sweeping up the broken frame from the ground with a broom. His father was standing in the living room, and the two of them were speaking, until they noticed Bella walk in. Instantly, they both stopped and turned to look at her.

Bella took a deep breath, as her eyes flicked between the two of them.

"What are you doing here?" Cole's father finally asked, his accent heavy, and his thick eyebrows furrowed.

"What is wrong with you?" Bella asked him, her breath heavy as she paused for a moment, before looking over at his mother. "Both of you?"

His mother dropped the broom to the ground and pressed her hand against her forehead. Her face was flushed, and tears were staining her cheeks. Her small shoulders racked with silent cries, while Bella stood by the front door and watched her.

"Get out of my house," his father grumbled.

"Do you think that Cole asked for any of this?" Bella said, trying to project but her voice came out hardly above a whisper. She was proud of herself for remaining as calm as possible, but she couldn't look too long at his father's eyes, or she'd surely lose control.

"Get out," he simply repeated.

"No, you're going to listen to what I have to say," Bella said, successfully speaking louder this time, as tears clouded her vision and pierced her eyes. She was so sick of everyone treating them horribly - she couldn't bear it anymore.

Bella looked back at his mother, who was rubbing her eyes and sighing.

"Hasn't he been hurt enough?" Bella asked them. "You guys are his parents... he's your son. You're supposed to be the two people out of everyone who - who will be there for him and love him no matter what," her voice began to tremble on the last few words. Tears were flying down her cheeks as she reached up to wipe them off.

She briefly wondered if her own mother was somewhere out there, with any sort of awareness of what her daughter had been through.

"He cause us a lot of trouble," his father replied dismissively. "Our life is better without him."

Bella swallowed hard. "He causes you trouble?" she repeated, her voice starting to shake. "None... none of what happened to him is his fault. It's Rose's fault. She's the one who killed Gio, and she's the one who kidnapped, tortured, and traumatized Cole," she told them, and she could have sworn she saw his father flinch beneath her words.

His father shifted his weight as he shook his head. "Cole is irresponsible. He could have fought harder. This was embarrassing for the family, only give us more attention. None of this would have happened, if only he were a man."

Bella couldn't believe her ears. Her jaw almost dropped to the floor.

His mother shot a glare at his father, and Bella could tell that she disagreed with what he was saying. Bella rooted for her to speak up, but she stayed meek, despite guilt beginning to pool in her gray eyes.

"A man?" Bella stifled an uncomfortable laugh. "He was sixteen-"

"I am not talking about this any more," his father waved his hand dismissively at Bella. "If you are not out of my house soon, I will call police."

Bella paused for a beat as she tried to collect her thoughts. She was beyond frustrated, and she could hear her heart pounding in her ears. Her body was hot, and her fists were curled at her sides.