Chapter 5

Chapter 5

For the first little while Mitch sat quietly watching his mate. He'd hold her hand or brush the hair off her face with the back of his hand. Touch is what he needed, it kept him calm, steadied his nerves and gave his body a chance to learn at least a little of hers.

As the fever increased, Mitch looked to Tempest unsure of what to do, how to help his mate. "Take the bowl Trae brought up and part fill it with tepid water, I'll wipe her face, arms and hands down and maybe it will help a little."

Tempest wasn't sure at all it if would help, but it would give them both something to do and it couldn't hurt. She monitored Miriam and in the end let Mitch sponge her down as best he could. Trae and Murray came in at intervals with food and drinks to help keep them going, but when Wade made his way into the room in the early hours of the morning, he pulled rank and told Tempest to get some rest.

Tempest was too tired to argue, she tugged his shirt to indicate she wanted him to follow her. "Miriam's holding her own for now, she's strong and she's going to need that strength to get through this." She sighed, "I wouldn't get too close to the bed if I were you. Mitch is wound tight and... to be honest I think he's only okay with me tending her because I'm female."

"I'll keep that in mind, now get some rest. I'll wake you in a few hours and maybe he'll put his head down while you watch over Miriam."

"Thank you Mr Benning. I'm a light sleeper, so it won't take much to wake me." Tempest bedded down on the small couch in the sitting room. Exhaustion taking her consciousness almost before her head touched the cushion.

Wade decided not to stay in the bedroom, he wandered in and out checking on both Mitch and Miriam. He was more than surprised that they were mates and couldn't help but wonder if they would have crossed paths if she hadn't have been attacked. In the end he decided not to dwell on it, they'd found each other and although Miriam had no idea what was happening or how much her world would be turned upside down, he was hopeful that they would make a go of it.

As promised Wade woke Tempest a few hours later and she surprised him by not going straight into the bedroom, but in search of Trae. She saw him walking towards her and ran towards the stairs to speak with him. "Trae, I need a few things if that's okay?"

"Sure Doc, whatever you need."

She smiled softly, "Could I have a pillow and a couple of blankets, I want to see if I can convince Mitch to put his head down for a bit. I know they're mates, but Miriam doesn't know him yet so I don't think it would be a good idea to let him lay on the bed with her."

"He won't want to leave her either," began Trae, "if you can convince him to bed down on the floor beside the bed it might just work." He looked at her with concern, "You want me to sit with you for a while?"

"Mr Benning's with us at the moment, how about you drop in for a while when he leaves? Have you gotten any sleep yet?"

Trae laughed, "To be honest Doc, sleep is the last thing on my mind. This is the first transition we've had into the Pack in a good many years. I just hope..." he couldn't finish, and Tempest gave his arm a squeeze in comfort. "I'll go get what you need."

Trae returned several minutes later with a pillow and blankets. She smiled gratefully taking them from him then entered the bedroom. "Mitch," she said softly knowing he'd hear. "Mitch I need you to take a break."

He growled, but she continued knowing this was needed. "You don't have to leave the room, in fact I'd prefer it if you don't. You'll be able to recognise any change in Miriam, even while you're resting you'll sense it. I need your help and so does your mate," she took in a slow breath, "but you need rest to be able to do that."