Chapter 14

The previous Friday night, Timothy had watched the Paranormal Destinations crew unload at the quarry.  The quarry was not far from where the train accident had taken place, and although Timothy did not feel bound to an particular location, he felt more comfortable there than anywhere else.  

Timothy listened to the two-man crew's speculation with interest.  Most of them, it seemed, thought of the show as a joke.  A joke that paid the bills, but a joke nonetheless; a lark they didn't take seriously.  They also discussed the on-screen personalities.  They had little respect or liking for Troy, and less respect but more liking for Darrin.  They also discussed the women involved with the show, and Timothy listened with more interest.  His time in the world of the departed had not inured him to the attractions of the opposite sex.  Although he could go anywhere, be anywhere, and see anyone at any time, his strong moral upbringing prevented him from using his abilities to give in to those temptations.  Still, he listened to the men with interest.  

“Who's better, do you think, Teddi or Jenny?”

“Better what?”

“Better looking, you doofus.  You know what I meant.”

The second man laughed.  “Jenny, every time.  That's why she's in front of the camera, not behind it.  She's got gorgeous hair.”

The first man bristled a bit.  “There's nothing wrong with Teddi.”

“I know that.  But you didn't ask if there was anything wrong with her.  You asked which was better.  That's Jenny.”

The first man adjusted the cameras.  “Well, whatever.  I think Teddi's got her beat six ways to Sunday.”

“To each his own.  She's too thin, I think.  But I guess you've got a thing about her.  So, are you going to ask her out, or something?”

“No.  Why, are you?”

“No.”  He laughed.  “So what's it matter, anyway?”

Timothy grinned.  Some things never change, he thought.  The sound of a coughing engine alerted him to Teddi's arrival in her old Audi.  She stepped out of the car and quickly checked the set-up of the two stationary cameras, pushed her monopods into the ground.   She was quicker, and more precise than the men.  Timothy admired her confidence; she set things up, checked them once, but never made any adjustments.

Evening crept on as the three worked together.  The air cooled, and leaves rattled in a growing breeze; some darted among the stones of the quarry, others, still on the trees, rustled as they seemed to huddle together for warmth.  Teddi smiled.  “It'll be a great night for shooting,” she said.  “Clear.  The ambient light should give just the right tone.”

The two men agreed, and Teddi chatted a bit with them.  Before the digital age, lugging the heavy camera equipment around would have been a challenge, but much of her gear was so light and small a child could handle it; her stature was no hindrance to her work.  Teddi liked to be behind the lens, getting everything set just right, prior to the shoot.  Their budget did not allow for another camera-person, and she wanted each show to be the best it could be.  It required meticulous planning and extra work on her part, but she was willing to put the hours in.  

Finally, everything was set and ready; she needed only to wait for the stars of the show to arrive.  The two set-up men departed with a wave and a wink.   Teddi knew Mike would never pay the overtime for the two crew-men to wait until the show was taped; they would return the next day to retrieve their equipment.  Nor did he waste any of her material; he used all of it to flesh out the show for rebroadcast, web-only clips, and any other marketing ideas he came up with.