15| Hothead

Nico doesn't notice me standing here. He's too in the zone, pounding the bag with the untamed wildness of someone with something on their mind. He lets out his breath in sharp, quick bursts, controlled despite the power of his punches, and even though I wish I weren't, I'm impressed.

I let him continue for another few minutes before leaning against a heavy bag. "Looks like the mole has found its way home."

His head snaps up at the same time his hands drop. For a few seconds, he doesn't speak; he just stares in a way that makes my heart thrum. Then, slowly, he peels off his gloves and unwraps the tape without looking up. "Something tells me this isn't the first time you've run your mouth without knowing all the facts."

He's got me there. "So, what are the facts?" I say, "because the way I see it–" but I don't get the chance to tell him how I see it because no sooner do I open my mouth when someone calls my name. I see an old member of GymCon, Liam, standing over by the ring with Katarina. He's staring right at me, not in the way you might regard an old friend, but in a way that suggests I'm not welcome.

"Fancy seeing you here," he calls. "You finally decided to upgrade?"

My hands clench instinctively. I straighten my shoulders, suddenly alert, and prepare to walk over when Nico steps in front of me. "Do me a favor," he says, his voice low. "Walk away, Cassie."

"Not in my nature." I push right past him, ignoring the clenched, pronounced line of his jaw as I make my way over to Liam. "Fancy seeing you here. I figured this place was for professionals."

Liam's eyes darken at the same time he folds his arms. Katarina looks between us before her cat-like eyes rest on me. "Haven't seen you around here before. You thinking of joining?"

I shake my head but don't explain further. At hearing the commotion, a couple of others stop hitting their bags and meet us over by the ring. The one closest, a tall, lanky boy with greasy blond hair, steps forward and grins.

"You used to be at GymCon?" he asks. "God, that place is a joke. I can see why you jumped ship."

It's a testament to my self-control that I haven't punched him yet. Deep down, Coach would be proud of me. "It's not a joke," I say. "It has more character than this place ever will."

"Oh, come on," Liam says, "that place hasn't been taken seriously for years. Is coach still running it, or has the old man finally kicked the bucket?"

The surge of anger that rushes through my veins takes over. I step forward, fingers twitching as I ready myself to knock him back into last week. "I get it; you're embarrassed that an old man is ten times the fighter you'll ever be. I'd be embarrassed too."

The sneer on his lips is wiped off his face. "I'll show you what kind of fighter I am right now if you like."

I step forward, fingers twitching as I lift my arm, but someone comes up behind me. I don't need to turn to see who it is; I already know – Nico.

Without a word, he steps between us to stare Liam down. "I'm ready when you are."

Maybe it's the sharp-edged tone of Nico's voice or the narrowed, hard line of his jaw, but either way, something compels Liam to take a step back and make his way back to the heavy bags. I glance at Nico, unnerved by the cold, reckless look in his eye. It's the first time I've seen this side of him, and part of me is terrified. 

Nico turns to face me, his voice low and dangerous. "Let's go. Before you–"

But I'm barely listening; a fire still burns my throat. I turn to Katarina, ignoring Nico's warning look, and say, "You found someone to fight yet?"