~ Belly's Birthday ~

Steven and I made our way back in the early hours of the morning, walking in a comforting silence both of us in deep thought. We bid our goodbyes and went our separate ways into our rooms, hoping to get enough sleep in the few hours left before morning.

I woke up and chucked on a bikini, some shorts, and a white flannel shirt, and managed to make it downstairs before Belly. She comes in just a few minutes later as we all wish her a happy birthday.

"There's the birthday girl," My mom hugs her first, "Looking like a vision in floral, Happy Birthday."

"Happy sweet sixteen Belly" Jeremiah's next.

Belly turns to me, I grin and give her a big hug, "Happy Birthday Bells."

"Now Belly Button's getting old finally, Happy birthday," Steven says across the table from her.

"Happy Birthday Sweetheart," Lastly Laurel gives her daughter a hug.

"Thanks, everyone," Belly giggles.

"Your Mickey Mouse pancakes are ready," Laurel lets her daughter know.

"Actually, I'm not really hungry," Belly tells her surprised mother. It's been a tradition for over a decade for Belly to have her pancakes on her birthday, she never once missed them.

"Shall we open gifts," Susannah saves the situation.

"Oh you're gonna love mine," Jere says excitedly, holding up a small box, as our brother sits quietly in front of him, silently eating his cereal. I glance at Belly to see her looking at him, disappointed, someone needs to smack some sense in him.

Belly unwrapped Laurel's present first, "it's a first-edition, I got it from a rare book dealer," Belly thanked her mom flipping over the poem book to read the front, "Turn to the bookmarked page." Laurel tells her daughter, aware that Belly is not as interested in poems as she is. "It's your favorite poem."

"Oh yeah, I remember Susannah teaching us to recite this," Belly says, a grin back on her face. 'For whatever we lose..."

"Like a you or a me

It's always ourselves

We find in the sea'"

We all join in, recognizing the poem. "Thank you, I love it." Belly smiles at her mom.

"Okay open mine now Belly," Susannah passes her a small white bag.

Belly opens the small box, "Oh wow, they are gorgeous Susannah."

Susannah sits next to Belly, helping her put on the pearl necklace. "My mom gave me and my sister these pearls for our sweet sixteen, now you and Amaya have gotten them for yours." Susannah walks back to Laurel, "Radiant, isn't she?" I nudge Belly's arm smiling.