21. Full Speed Ahead

Rick storms ahead of us, his fists clenched tightly at his side. He's so tense that his muscles are bulging from his T-shirt and threatening to rip the material at the seams.

I turn away from Rick, pushing the anger down into my gut and focusing my attention instead on my mate as I run my hand down his shoulder. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah." He swears under his breath and pinches the bridge of his nose as he gathers himself. "What has Ryan done now? Come on."

He lowers his hand and takes mine in his. Sighing, he reaches for Emily's trembling one with the other. She's been hiding behind me and when I glance at her, I see that her gaze is downcast and... are those tears in her eyes?

"Emily?" I start to ask, but she quickly cuts me off.

"I'm fine."

Her voice is firm, and as much as I want to find out what's upsetting her, I'm reminded that now is not the time, as Evan picks up the pace to a light jog.

Rick has already disappeared ahead of us when we reach our room. I notice that Keith's things are gone already, but I have no time to ponder when that took place.

Emily looks around and realizes that her bag isn't there. "My stuff is in Paige's room."

"Then hurry up and get it." Rick's standing in the doorway, glaring at us, as I bend over my bag. "Move it," he growls before he leaves.

Emily hurries out after him to fetch her stuff.

I try not to let Rick's attitude problem bother me, but he is grating on my nerves. What is his problem? "What does this mean?" I ask Evan as I tug on the zipper of my bag.

His lips are pressed together in a concentrated line as his eyes sweep around the room quickly before landing on his bag. "I don't know. I don't know what Ryan has done, and I don't know what's going on. I just don't know, okay?"

I grimace at the exasperation in his voice. He's stressed, and he doesn't want to show it, but it's already leaking out. "Okay," I mutter, turning away.

Standing up straight, I sling my bag over my shoulder and wait for him to do the same. My stomach churns as my thoughts swirl around about the possibilities of what it could be.

Evan's brother is involved in something that has Rick ready to spill blood. We're leaving suddenly with no explanation as to where we're going. Is everyone in the village leaving, or just our pack?

"Let's go," he says as he straightens up, tossing his bag over his shoulder, and snapping me out of my thoughts.

"Right." I nod.

We walk briskly out, down the hallway, stairs, and out the front door. I shield my eyes from the sunlight overhead as my eyes scan the village for our alphas. I don't see them anywhere.

Evan turns away from me. "This way."

I hurry closely behind him as he rounds the corner of the building. Behind the guesthouse is a black SUV parked on a gravel path with Rick and Alicia standing next to it, talking with Clyde, Heidi, and Evan's parents.

"We'll meet you at the Vancouver Mall," Marcus says as Evan and I approach. "Maria has gathered a few helpers with her to pack our luggage as we speak."

"Paige and Joshua will stay here, where it's safe," Tamara adds when Evan and I step up to them.

"Of course," Clyde says. "We'll take good care of them and ensure their safety at all costs."

"I highly doubt that Ryan will come after his own siblings but..." Heidi says and trails off.

"But we can never be too careful," Marcus says, finishing her thought.