7. Pair of Animals

By lunchtime, the adrenaline wears off and Evan and I stumble back to our room. Both of us have been up for nearly thirty hours straight, and falling asleep with the babies in the nursery during naptime is an understatement. We finally called it a day then and I’m surprised that we manage to find our way back without getting lost. Evan had to drag me at one point because I found a warm spot on the floor and curled up there like a dog on a cold winter’s day.

Keith is still with Emily, only he’s fast asleep as well by the time we slip in and crawl under the covers in our bed. We don’t even bother to change into pyjamas.

It doesn’t take long for the sandman to come, and when I enter dreamland, I barely even notice.

There’s someone standing over me. I can only tell he’s there because I feel him in the darkness around me. There’s an intensity and sinisterness in his presence that fills me with fear and unease. My heart begins to pound faster and harder against my ribcage as I anticipate his next move, knowing that whatever he does can’t be good.

He just stands there, his eyes bearing down on me. I don’t know for how long, but it makes my skin crawl and shivers to run up and down my spine. What does he want from me?

And why can’t I speak?

A hollow voice echoes in the black abyss, saying my name slowly over and over.

“Zara.”

“Zara.”

“Zara.”

 .

A sudden jolt wakes me from my sleep, still encapsulated in darkness, but with the familiar earthy smell of Evan surrounding me. A thin stream of dim light escapes through the crack in the curtains and casts the room in a faint orange glow.

He stirs behind me, pulling his arm from around my waist and rolling onto his back with a groan. “Hmh. What is it?”

Brushing a dread from my face, the images from the dream flicker once more in my mind. “Just a nightmare.”

“Of what?”

Rubbing the sleep from my eyes, I mutter, “I dunno. It was just creepy.”

I squint at the faint orange light, the same orange the sky turns when the sun is about to set. I don’t like that I’ve slept most of the day, but I guess it can’t be helped.

Evan moans a little sound of acknowledgement. With a groan, he stretches before scooping me back into his arms with a content sigh.

“Should we get up soon?” I ask.

He murmurs what sounds like a no as he nuzzles my neck. He hasn’t shaven for a few days now, and his stubble scratches a little on the sensitive skin. I stiffen as a shiver runs up my spine with the tickle of his breath.

“We’ll get up when someone comes looking for us,” he says, placing a light kiss just below my ear.

If I wasn’t blushing before, I sure am now. He’s figured out recently that that’s a hot spot for me, and I try not to let him get the best of me in this position. “We can’t do this here!”

I feel his lips tighten in a grin against my neck. “Why not?”

“We’re guests!”

“So?”

I squirm out from his arms and look over my shoulder. “So, isn’t that, like, a faux pas or something?”

“It’s never stopped Rick and Ali, or anyone from the Silver Star Pack visiting us. Besides, you’re not as loud as most females.”

My face grows even hotter. “Evan!”

I sit up to try and distance myself from him. The heat rising off him isn’t helping me to keep my own body temperature in check. It just doesn’t feel right to be intimate with Evan in that way here.

“What? We’re part wolf. It’s only natural.”

Despite the thumping of my heart, I scowl at him. “Wolves only go in heat and mate once a year. We’re not a pair of rabbits!”

“But you’d love me even if we were,” he says with a grin as he props himself up on his elbow.

Thank the Lord above that he’s still fully dressed. With the blanket covering him from the waist down, it would be a lot harder for me to maintain my composure with him tempting me with nothing on.

It sure wouldn’t be the first time either.

Trying to keep cool, I say, “Of course.”

Pulling himself up, he leans toward me and trails a feather-light finger up my arm. He pauses at my shoulder, only to brush a dreadlock aside. His breath tickles my nape. “Then why don’t we enjoy this alone time while we can, hm?”

I turn to peak an eyebrow at him. “You don’t really expect me to be turned on by that, do ya?”

In the dim light, I can see his golden eyes gaze into mine before he lowers them and presses his lips on my shoulder. A swarm of butterflies burst from my stomach and spread to the tips of my toes, leaving a tingling sensation that only heightens the affect he has on me. My eyes close as I lean back into him. The back of my head rests on his shoulder as his lips continue their caress across my shoulder, around the curve of my neck, before planting themselves on my erogenous spot under my ear.

Boy, am I in hot water now.

Torn between my mounting desire and anxiety of being disrespectful to our hosts, I don’t know whether to give in to my urges or turn him down. However, at the rate he’s going, it’s getting harder and harder for me to think about proper etiquette.

A soft rapping at the door interrupts Evan’s trail of kisses.

“Evan, Mom said to wake you and Zee up,” came Brianna’s voice behind the door.

He growls, clearly not happy with the interruption. “Her name is Zara, Bri!”

“I know that! But I also know we’re going to be BFFs, so I’m calling her Zee for short! Now get your lazy butts up and come downstairs to the dining hall!”

“Fine,” Evan says, with a note of exasperation in his tone. He turns to me with pursed lips and a peaked eyebrow. “You up for a quickie?”

----

Author's Note: Evan, you're such a GUY! LOL (Open-ended chapter so you can feed your imagination as to what they do next, tee hee)

Did I satisfy all of you romance-starved readers with this?