Chapter Sixteen:  As free as a prisoner.

A/N: This one is a bit boring but I think you guys will LOVE the next chapter... ;)

Chapter Sixteen: As free as a prisoner.

The next morning I woke up shivering. Getting wrecked by the wind and pelting rain was the orient curtains that I shut along with the window before I had gone to bed. 

"Dear me, you'd die of cold child." Edna scolded, startling me as she arrived with a tray of breakfast. 

Setting it down on my bed she rushed over to the window swiftly shutting it. 

"Just look at this." She admonished, as she started taking the soaked through curtain from its rail, squeezing the excess water into a nearby pot plant. 

It was obvious that Edna was very strong in her hands by the way easily rung out the dense material. But unlike most others in the house her strength did not come from being a superhuman- but a hard worker, something more admirable.

Short on her trail was Gen, who quietly tripled in behind her, also holding a tray. 

Even under the artificial lights her skin was a soft caramel colour with a slight golden undertone that made her already beautiful eyes just look brighter. 

Pulling my fingers through my knotted curls I imagined I was probably no oil painting, but Gen's expression made me want to run to the mirror, as she sucked in her breath. 

"Idiots!" she growled. 

"I didn't expect them to fill your closet... but no sleepwear!?" 

Not wanting to tell her that I was just too tired to be bothered, I just nodded in agreement as she continued her rant about people in their household not knowing how to treat 'guests'. 

"Do you even have another set of clean underwear?" she choked, looking serious as she rubbed her temples. 

Holding back a chuckle, I quickly lied as I saw her concerned expression. 

"Yes, now sit down- your making me nervous." I clipped, mirroring her almost comical serious expression. 

But the instead of looking assured or amused, a brief look of wariness and fear flashed across Gen's eyes- and she quickly sat down.

Digging into the French toast and fruit salad, we both fell silent as we stuffed our faces, table manners no longer applying. 

Pulling out a new, fancy looking touch screen tablet from her bag, Gen unlocked it opening up her email. 

"Okay, so without any further a due- we need to discuss your room." She mumbled as she took a big last bite.

Opening up a 'virtual room', Gen flicked from screen to screen giving me a rundown of the program. Dragging a bed from the Manchester section she placed it in the room, shifting it along with other random items around the room into different positions to best utilise the space.

Although I knew technology allowed architects and interior designers to do great things, I never imagined it to be anything like this. 

Astonished, I intently took in all the programs functions, only occasionally nodding when Gen asked if I fully understood.

Pressing the 'delete all' function however before I could even say anything, all the items disappeared from the virtual room as Gen entered a 'Word' document. 

"Hey!" I protested. 

"I thought we were designing my room, that was nice!"

Laughing a little maniacally at me, Gen picked tears from her eyes- laughing even more as she saw my serious, incredulous expression.