24- Love for Show

Ajay

Was that even real? Or was I dreaming?

I ruffled my hair as I sighed deeply. Cookie wagged her tail as she jumped onto my lap. "My little baby. How were you? Look what I brought for you! Peanut butter!" She stuck her tongue out as I showed her the packet.

After serving her favourite food to her, I walked towards the balcony. Taking a deep breath, I stood pondering upon the look test. That accidental kiss.

I turned towards her flat. Why did that kiss have to happen? So awkward. I averted my eyes but still, I couldn't forget her terrified and startled face. Her big round eyes when she realized what happened.

I blinked as I recalled all the events in these past days. Is this all just a coincidence? Don't overthink. This is just that. Nothing else.

I told myself what I wished to believe before I called Lina. " Hello, bhaiya."

" Hello Lina, how are you?"

" Fine. How about you and Maya didi?" She asked, enthusiastically.

" Ha… Again Maya," I sighed, showing my disappointment at her," Well, she is good and so am I."  

" That's good. So how did the look test go? Yay or nay!" I could hear her shriek from the other end, almost confirming herself that it was all good. Suddenly, the kiss scene played in front of me like a movie and I quickly snapped myself out of those silly thoughts.

" Everything went fine."

" Hmm… but what I am hearing, bhaiya? Is this true?" She asked with a questioning tone.

" Depends on what you are hearing." I walked up and down the balcony, watching the moonlight touch the window seal.

" Bhaiya, don't pretend like you don't know. You and Maya didi's rumour is going viral like wildfire. And I am not a kid anymore. Tell the truth. Are you both faking it? For the media? As far as I know, you both are definitely like fire and snow. I cannot believe in them, however much I want to."

Somehow, she got to know the truth behind all this show. I didn't know how but she did and now I can't keep pretending dumb which I had been doing these few days since this drama started.

" Ah… right. But don't tell anyone. This must be a secret between us. This is for your Maya didi and our film." Now, this sounded weird for some reason.

" Okie. But promise to take care of Maya didi and bring chocolates for me, please."

I nodded even though she couldn't see me and replied, " Okay, sister. Study hard and your wish will be fulfilled. Till then, goodbye."

" Studies, again! Then I won't get the chocolates for sure. Fine, Goodbye." I chuckled at her disappointed voice and hung up the call. After giving the last glimpse of her flat, I got inside with a smile lingering on my face but still, my worries didn't get washed off.

★★★

Maya

" Great job guys."

It was a fulfilling day even though I had to work with that demonic, idiotic guy for the whole three hours; even though I had no time to rest up; even though I was constantly changing my dresses for the couple photoshoot for the film's purpose. 

I am still happy even if you don't agree with me; I am happy with no accidents and no drama, at least till now. The biggest thing was that they selected me as the final after judging the look test. 

In their words, " They are a picture-perfect couple. So cute!" 

But I highly doubt that. At which angle did we look good? What a joke!