Ch. 5 - Complications

This is the fifth chapter, I hope you guys like it! Sorry it took like, FOREVER to update. I didn't have writer's block, it's just because it was the second week of school and I was getting into the whole routine again. I'm not sure exactly how often I'm going to post but I'm not abandoning this book.

Also, I have a new book coming up! I'm probably going to launch it this weekend, but I'm not 100% sure yet. If I write many chapters ahead I'll have a lot more time to edit and to continue Driftaway Lane.

Anyway, enough chit chat. Enjoy the chapter! I love you all. <3

~Reannaaa;)

-------------------------

Walking into my room and retrieving the note from the coat under my bed, I notice from my view out the window a car pulling up. It looks suspiciously like the car P.T. and the woman just drove away in only a few minutes ago. My heart skips a beat when I see P.T. and his lady companion stepping out of the car and towards the front door.

No, no... it can't be.

Are you kidding me?

Well, I guess my epic pipe-climbing tactic is going ahead after all.

-------------------------

I become lost in my own thoughts, staring out the window and preparing for the worst. When I hear the front door jolt open downstairs I jump furiously and dive down to the floor, eagerly searching for a hiding place.

After around fifteen seconds of frantic searching I dive under my own bed and bury myself under a humongous pile of clothes. Snuggling Rocco tight and holding his mouth shut, I mentally pray that we won't be heard and we'll get out of here alive. My breath hitches in my throat and I shut my eyes tightly and pretend I'm not there. If Rocco and I stay silent and still for long enough, maybe they'll leave without noticing us.

The air wasn't very clean under my bed and I began feeling slightly dizzy. Opening my eyes, I reach out for Rocco and hold his paw. He jolts, obviously thinking it was P.T. He lets out a huge whimper and for a second I begin to panic.

The last thing I hear is my bedroom door being forced open before I black out and fall into a peaceful darkness.

*HAZEL'S DREAM*

"Come on, Hazel. If you don't get ready now we're going to be late for the circus! Hurry along now darling. Five minutes, okay?" I hear my dad's kind voice say to my nine year old self.  

"Okay daddy!!" I squeal excitedly, pulling dad into a big hug before sprinting off into my own room. I grab out a pink tank top and some aqua polka dot shorts from my closet, pull them on carelessly and rush downstairs to grab my favourite pair of Skechers. I run to the bathroom quickly and brush my teeth, before finding my dad and tugging his arm out the front door.

"Come on daddy! I want to see the circus!" I whine. Dad chuckles and grabs his keys on the way out. Today was going to be a huge adventure.

 I walk hand-in-hand with my dad towards a large white tent, which is the entrance to the circus. We go to the small stalls and order choc tops and cotton candy before departing from the food area and selecting our seats. Luckily, we managed to arrive at the perfect time as there were two seats right up front on the left hand side, near the stage entrance. If dad and I craned our necks, we would even be able to see backstage and watch the performers get ready. It was the perfect seat.

My dad and I make small talk and eat for a little before the lights dim down and a slim little woman steps onto the stage. She is dressed in a red satin gown, straight and elegant with a slit on the side for her right leg to peep out. Her hair was in a neat up-do adorned with little flower pins and loose curls on the ends. She looked glamorous. Her dress matched the red velvet curtains on either side of the stage, and everything looked extremely thought out and absolutely amazing.

"Welcome, ladies and gentlemen, to Goldeene's Circus! Have you guys been enjoying your night?" The woman bellows into the microphone.

A roar of applause and people yelling "yes!" hit the room like an earthquake. The enthusiasm was so intense and I was enjoying every second of it; I could tell my dad was too by the way he was smiling. It felt so good to see him happy after all he has to go through.

"Alright... settle down, settle down!" The woman said with a huge smile on her face. I turned my head from her and peered back stage. I could see a man and a woman stretching in the corner and preparing to perform. The woman was wearing a silver leotard, her hair pulled swiftly up into a neat ballerina's bun and glistening eyeshadow which made her blue eyes look stunning. The man was wearing long blue tights with a black leotard and his hair gelled back messily. Both their outfits complimented each other, and I could tell they were going to be performing together. Out of the corner of my eye I noticed the woman stepping off stage with a wave. Wait., did I just miss the whole speech?

Oops, looks like I spaced out again. I suck at concentrating... I blame mum. 

Suddenly a flash of lightning sounded from the surround-sound speakers and I saw a girl step on stage with flaming knives. Now this was going to be interesting.

*END OF DREAM*

My eyes flutter open and a look of confusion takes over my face. Why am I under my bed? Why is Rocco under my bed with me?

Suddenly all the events from the previous night come flooding back into my mind.

They were here! 

I wearily poke my head out from under my bed, and once convinced the coast is clear, I roll out lazily and pull myself up to the window. My eyes are blinded by the harsh sunlight terrorising my eyes. It must be around noon, I thought to myself. I turn my attention to the clock on my nightstand. The green letters glowing back at me inform me that it's 12:24pm. I have around an hour before I really need to get going and make my way to the first address. I spin on my heels and step out of my room, leaving Rocco under my bed to sleep and closing my bedroom door firmly behind me. 

While I'm still in this house safely, I guess I'll snack on whatever food is left in the pantry, which I had no room in my bag to pack.

Walking down the steps I notice nothing about the house has really changed. Sure, P.T. and that lady payed a second visit and all, but everything looks the same. They haven't messed anything up and I'm glad about that.

I step into the kitchen and my eyes land on the counter top, where in permanent marker there is a message crawled on top of the smooth granite.

"HAVE YOU CHECKED ON THE DOG?"

I hear a loud thud in the living room and my eyes snap to the doorway where I see a slender shadow coming increasingly closer.

-------------------------

I am SO sorry for taking so long to update! I was taking a little break because of school and everything. Look, I know it's short but it's the best I could come up with in three days. I still hope you like it nonetheless. :) Stay strong, and I love you all! <3

~Reannaaa;)

P.S This chapter is dedicated to @nickperryy because he is one cool potato and he's really awesome and you should watch out for his first story coming out soon! He's a really good writer and I'm sure you won't regret checking out his work. :)